Which A Levels would you say I should choose? Watch

username1370769
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi!

My big dream is to study French and Spanish at Oxford University.
I'm currently doing GCSEs and my predicted grades are all A*s and As.

I have to choose my A Levels in a few weeks.

I am obviously doing Spanish and French.

I wanted to then to Government and Politics, and English Literature. However, at the Sixth Form I'm going to, they're both in the same column, so I can only choose one.

I really want to do 4 A Levels, so I was thinking:
Spanish
French
English Lit
History

I don't really like History, but I thought it might have elements of Politics in, and also, if I study 3 subjects I enjoy, then I'm willing to make a sacrifice and study a worthwhile subject which I might not enjoy that much.

I'm not hugely confident with Literature, but my teacher tells me I'd be really good at it, and I guess at Sixth Form it'll be different to A Levels.

What do you suggest I study? Are there any subjects you think might be useful (our school offers a lot)

(P.S: I'm not interested in the 'sciencey' subjects and I haven't studied Geography or Religion, so those are all out of the question)

thank!
anunoriginaluser
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just as an NB, I don't think you need Geog or RS GCSE to take the AS in general (Could be wrong though)
NinjaNicky
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Check with the RE teachers, because I didn't do RE at GCSE, but at A-level RE was actually Philosophy and Ethics, so I did it and its awesome, I got an A at AS. You also don't need geoggers GCSE, I did it and am now doing it at A-level, but there's people in my class who hadn't done it at GCSE but are doing fine. Don't do history if you don't enjoy it. Every second of work will be hell.
loperdoper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Have you spoken to your sixth form about the subject clash? This occurs most years at my sixth form, and they always try to accomodate your top choices.
BWV1007
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you think you're not going to enjoy History then go for English Lit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Those subjects are fine, though replacing history with something you enjoy might be the right choice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (551)
37.82%
No - but I will (114)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (102)
7%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (690)
47.36%

Watched Threads