Getting participants for psychology experiments? Watch

prettywise
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi guys, maybe this isn't exactly study help that I need but I do need help with getting participants for my dissertation project... I tried e-mailing and Facebooking people but for some reason I have a very low completion rate of my online survey, which is weird since it's quite short and simple.

1. Any ideas on effective ways to get participants? I need at least 200, and having in mind spam limitations I am sending out around 50 invites a day, however I'm getting only 0-1 participants per day for this rate of sending. The invites are casual and not overly pushy, perhaps I should try a different approach? I'm running out of time, need to start my data analysis soon and I only have what, 8 people (6 friends, 2 random strangers)! How do I get to 200 in a month? Getting participants online sounded so simple in the beginning!

2. I guess the most straightforward thing to do is find a place where lots of students live on the internet and post invites there, and this forum is one, so... if any of you would like to take part I'd really appreciate it!

The link:
http://viis.abdn.ac.uk/snapwebhost/s.asp?k=141349388527

But really, any ideas? Where could I post invites?
Thanks )))
MathsNerd1
  • Study Helper
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by prettywise)
Hi guys, maybe this isn't exactly study help that I need but I do need help with getting participants for my dissertation project... I tried e-mailing and Facebooking people but for some reason I have a very low completion rate of my online survey, which is weird since it's quite short and simple.

1. Any ideas on effective ways to get participants? I need at least 200, and having in mind spam limitations I am sending out around 50 invites a day, however I'm getting only 0-1 participants per day for this rate of sending. The invites are casual and not overly pushy, perhaps I should try a different approach? I'm running out of time, need to start my data analysis soon and I only have what, 8 people (6 friends, 2 random strangers)! How do I get to 200 in a month? Getting participants online sounded so simple in the beginning!

2. I guess the most straightforward thing to do is find a place where lots of students live on the internet and post invites there, and this forum is one, so... if any of you would like to take part I'd really appreciate it!

The link:

Thanks )))
Moved to Media and Research Opportunities forum
liviaa
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

The link:

Thanks )))
Happy to take part. If you get the time could you maybe do mine? I'm looking at achievement goals too http://goo.gl/forms/i5WKRFMV3r

Pretty much in the same boat as you. Need a large number of participants and getting online participants is nowhere near as easy as it sounds!

I've posted mine/applied to post on:in-mind.org, onlinepsychresearch.co.uk, and psych.hanover.edu. I only did this yesterday, however, so can't tell you how useful they actually are for getting participants.

My uni has a subjectpool where students take part in research for course credit. Unfortunately, I can't use the one at my uni (which is really unhelpful!) but maybe you can use the one at your uni if they have something similar?

Can't really think of much else, sorry. If I do, I'll let you know. Also, if you find any effective ways of getting participants, let me know. Need the help!
prettywise
Rep:
?
Hi livia,
I'm just e-mailing people at this point since I got no reply from some admins I contacted to send my snippet to people as they have access to mailing lists.
It's funny though that I originally proposed a topic to my supervisor on the relationship between the Big Five and academic emotions and he said it couldn't be done - your topic is quite similar I knew it could be done but he wasn't feeling like it!
Taking part in your study right now, let me know if it came through later.
prettywise
Rep:
?
Did it, I was familiar with some of the questions but tried to be as objective as possible.
Psyc_Girl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

The link:

Thanks )))
Done it for you
prettywise
Rep:
?
Thanks a lot Psyc_Girl
liviaa
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi livia,
I'm just e-mailing people at this point since I got no reply from some admins I contacted to send my snippet to people as they have access to mailing lists.
It's funny though that I originally proposed a topic to my supervisor on the relationship between the Big Five and academic emotions and he said it couldn't be done - your topic is quite similar I knew it could be done but he wasn't feeling like it!
Taking part in your study right now, let me know if it came through later.
Thanks for doing mine too. All came through ok I know some people who have had loads of response through email, thought I haven't actually tried it myself, so hopefully that goes well for you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (228)
39.31%
No - but I will (40)
6.9%
No - I don't want to (41)
7.07%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (271)
46.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise