Should I move accommodation? Watch

AlexSe4
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Ok to summarise, I currently live in catered accommodation in halls at university. I have to get a 25 minute free bus one way to get to my lectures, I hate the food and I only have 2 good friends.

I have viewed an all male flat with 3 current occupants at a self catered flat 5 minutes walk to my lectures and I am really stuck on whether I should move rooms to this accommodation. I have a week to decide. I was thinking it would solve 2 of my issues (food and transport) however since I'm 5 weeks in at uni it may be harder to make friends and I don't want to lose my Only 2 mates. Any thoughts welcome.
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Is finance an issue? You will have signed a one-year contract for your current accommodation and you won't get any money back if you just leave. Some accommodation will give a partial refund if you can find someone else to take over your contract, so that's worth looking into. Many commercially-run halls won't even refund you in that situation. Check the small print on your contract.

However if money is no object, moving seems logical. If you can't eat the food in catered halls, you're paying a significant amount of money for a service you're not using.
AlexSe4
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I can swap with someone living there currently so money isn't an issue. I eat the food in my current halls I just don't like it and want to control what & when I eat. The main concern about whether I should move or not is if I will be able to make friends easily since we are week 5 into uni now?
EloiseStar
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by AlexSe4)
Ok to summarise, I currently live in catered accommodation in halls at university. I have to get a 25 minute free bus one way to get to my lectures, I hate the food and I only have 2 good friends.

I have viewed an all male flat with 3 current occupants at a self catered flat 5 minutes walk to my lectures and I am really stuck on whether I should move rooms to this accommodation. I have a week to decide. I was thinking it would solve 2 of my issues (food and transport) however since I'm 5 weeks in at uni it may be harder to make friends and I don't want to lose my Only 2 mates. Any thoughts welcome.
You'll make friends throughout university regardless of what semester or year you're in. It isn't really an issue. If you move halls then you'll make friends there. 5 weeks is still pretty early on IMO, I made more friends closer to the end of the semester in my first year. Go for it and move if you think it will be better for you. I really don't think you have anything to worry about.
Inazuma
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Making friends is not a concern, too early. I only started to make my good friends by the start of February (as in, started to talk to them more than just in passing too)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (371)
37.29%
No - but I will (75)
7.54%
No - I don't want to (70)
7.04%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (479)
48.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed