Grip issue Watch

tomtjl
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
A few months ago, my little finger on my left hand was broken. After surgery and physiotherapy, it's in no better shape than it was immediately after the break. When it comes to lifting, this hampers my grip (I notice it mainly on deadlifts, though it has stopped me from doing pull ups altogether). I'm doing okay at the moment, but I know that when I start lifting heavier weights the grip is going to be a big issue. Are there any ways I can remove/limit this issue? I could buy straps, but I'm not sure how much help they would be.

Thanks.
Motorbiker
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tomtjl)
A few months ago, my little finger on my left hand was broken. After surgery and physiotherapy, it's in no better shape than it was immediately after the break. When it comes to lifting, this hampers my grip (I notice it mainly on deadlifts, though it has stopped me from doing pull ups altogether). I'm doing okay at the moment, but I know that when I start lifting heavier weights the grip is going to be a big issue. Are there any ways I can remove/limit this issue? I could buy straps, but I'm not sure how much help they would be.

Thanks.
Straps will definitely help.

Tbh you don't do much of the gripping with your little finger anyway so you'll probably be fine. Mixed grip and chalk and you'll be alright.
BKS
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
straps will avoid the issue more than fix it

has your physio/doctor said you're fine to lift? check first if not then train grip with double over hand holds. If you get to a point where grip limits your deadlift then decide if you want to use it to train grip or use straps to get the wider benifits

eta: just read little finger, I've never been aware of my pinky doing anything so it be in your head. If you've been injured then part of recovery from it is getting the subconscious fear of hurting it out of your head
tomtjl
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Motorbiker)
Straps will definitely help.

Tbh you don't do much of the gripping with your little finger anyway so you'll probably be fine. Mixed grip and chalk and you'll be alright.
Thanks man, if it becomes an issue then I'll get some straps.

(Original post by BKS)
straps will avoid the issue more than fix it

has your physio/doctor said you're fine to lift? check first if not then train grip with double over hand holds. If you get to a point where grip limits your deadlift then decide if you want to use it to train grip or use straps to get the wider benifits

eta: just read little finger, I've never been aware of my pinky doing anything so it be in your head. If you've been injured then part of recovery from it is getting the subconscious fear of hurting it out of your head
I haven't consulted my doctor about lifting, because I'm going to continue to do it anyways. My finger has "healed", it's just out of position. Your pinky doesn't do too much but the difference it makes is quite remarkable. Pull ups, for example, I can't do anymore because my grip is too weak on my left hand.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (26)
50%
No - but I will (1)
1.92%
No - I don't want to (1)
1.92%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (24)
46.15%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise