The Student Room Group

Panicking about new job

Sorry for the long post...

I'm a full-time student studying AS levels at college, and I've just managed to get a part time job in a hotel restaurant. I haven't started yet but I'm already having serious doubts about whether this is a good idea or not.

When I saw the offer I thought it looked great - it's a newly refurbished hotel in a pretty respectable hotel chain, looking for waiting staff, no previous experience required and all training provided, which is great seeing as it's my first job. I sent off my CV in a bit of a hurry, they called back and invited me in for a chat.

This was when they told me about the hours I would be expected to work - I would need to do 2 evening shifts a week from 6-11, and one day at the weekend - I can't remember the exact times but it takes up most of the day. Is this unreasonable? I'm pretty sure the maximum recommended hours for part time jobs while still in education was about 15 hours, but this job may be closer to 20, and I don't know if it's negotiable.

I also have a 30 minute drive to get there, and they said they closed at 11 so I would be out at 11:30, which means I would get home at midnight...which might not be the best thing since I have to go to college the next morning. I know my work will suffer if I'm tired, and then there's the fact that I have other commitments that take up about 2 evenings a week, leaving just 1 evening to do homework.

And that's not even half the problem... I was doing AS's last year as well, but I failed them so I'm retaking the whole year, which feels pretty ****, but that's another story. Anyway, I'm really scared about this years exams, because I know I've failed really badly before and I don't want to lose another year, so I feel like I have to spend as much time as possible making sure I don't fail again. I don't know if I can afford to put this many hours into a part time job. My mental state was part of the reason I failed last year (depression and anxiety, to be specific) and I'm concerned that this job may cause problems to re-emerge.

As for my reasons for looking for a job...I'm not desperate for money - my parents can support me if needs be - although it would be nice to earn a little extra myself, as a small step towards independence. I mostly want to feel like I'm not a waste of space. Most other people my age seem to have jobs, and I feel looked down on for not having one, like I don't deserve anything I have because I didn't earn the money myself. I also feel pathetic for freaking out about the hours.

My parents are keen for me to go ahead with it, and I know they'll argue and be disappointed if I try to back out. They've already blabbed to various relatives about how I'm getting a job and they're so proud and all that stuff...I feel like I've let them down already. But I don't know how to tell them how I really feel about this job, how I feel like I've made a horrible mistake, and I've never felt so trapped in my life. I haven't slept properly for days because of it.

So should I take the job anyway? How do I cope with it if I do?

Or should I find a way to back out, and how the hell do I convince my parents? Please help!
You're going to be a waiter/waitress? Do go ahead with it, the communication skills you pick up will be essential for any jobs you apply for in the future

Quick Reply

Latest