School Direct application questions Watch

MyopicNinja
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
#1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
#1
Hi.

I am in the process of applying for a School Direct (salaried) place to teach physics. I have a couple of questions about the on-line application form. I realise I may be over-thinking things so please bear with me.

I did my physics degree over 20 years ago and although I have my certificate I don't have a breakdown of the subjects or how much time was devoted to each subject or how many credits each subject was worth. I only know that you had to pass the first year to get into the second year, that the 2nd year was 30% of final mark and the other 70% was from the final year. Do I just list all the subjects and estimate time spent on each, including lab projects? (I don't remember there being such a thing as "credits" in those days). I can work out roughly how much time was spent on each subject but it will be very rough.

Also, where you have to list your English, maths and science qualifications (GCSE minimum required for teacher training) do you list only your GCSEs or your highest qualification in that subject? When you click on the qualifications in the list, it lists up to A level and equivalents which is what has confused me. I appreciate there are then sections for your other GCSEs and A levels but just wasn't sure about those particular requirements. For now, I have just put the GCSEs in the section for those three.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer
0
reply
bellylaugh
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
#2
Report 4 years ago
#2
(Original post by MyopicNinja)
Hi.

I am in the process of applying for a School Direct (salaried) place to teach physics. I have a couple of questions about the on-line application form. I realise I may be over-thinking things so please bear with me.

I did my physics degree over 20 years ago and although I have my certificate I don't have a breakdown of the subjects or how much time was devoted to each subject or how many credits each subject was worth. I only know that you had to pass the first year to get into the second year, that the 2nd year was 30% of final mark and the other 70% was from the final year. Do I just list all the subjects and estimate time spent on each, including lab projects? (I don't remember there being such a thing as "credits" in those days). I can work out roughly how much time was spent on each subject but it will be very rough.

Also, where you have to list your English, maths and science qualifications (GCSE minimum required for teacher training) do you list only your GCSEs or your highest qualification in that subject? When you click on the qualifications in the list, it lists up to A level and equivalents which is what has confused me. I appreciate there are then sections for your other GCSEs and A levels but just wasn't sure about those particular requirements. For now, I have just put the GCSEs in the section for those three.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer
Hi there,

I was in the same boat as you last year. I'm now on a SDS course. I just roughly estimated each of the modules that I did in my degree in terms of percentage. I think my dissertation I put down as 20%, most modules down as 10% and then a few little ones down as 5%. I never got questioned on anything relating to my degree at all.

In regards to the questions about qualifications, I'd put down your GCSE grades for Eng, Maths, Science and then just add in your other GCSEs and A-Levels in the other sections. Essentially they need to know you have a GCSE grade A-C in Maths/Eng (and science if you're looking at primary) even if you also have an A-Level or degree in that subject.

Good luck!
0
reply
MyopicNinja
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
#3
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
#3
(Original post by bellylaugh)
Hi there,

I was in the same boat as you last year. I'm now on a SDS course. I just roughly estimated each of the modules that I did in my degree in terms of percentage. I think my dissertation I put down as 20%, most modules down as 10% and then a few little ones down as 5%. I never got questioned on anything relating to my degree at all.

In regards to the questions about qualifications, I'd put down your GCSE grades for Eng, Maths, Science and then just add in your other GCSEs and A-Levels in the other sections. Essentially they need to know you have a GCSE grade A-C in Maths/Eng (and science if you're looking at primary) even if you also have an A-Level or degree in that subject.

Good luck!
Thanks very much for your reply. That has certainly clarified things.

All the best with your course
0
reply
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Reply
new posts
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (503)
37.65%
No - but I will (103)
7.71%
No - I don't want to (92)
6.89%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (638)
47.75%

Watched Threads

View All