Sounds like a stupid question but her with me! Watch

fariya16
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
What is the main thing a historian is supposed to do-tell the truth?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Elysium500
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by fariya16)
What is the main thing a historian is supposed to do-tell the truth?

Posted from TSR Mobile
But they often don't tell the truth and believe a bunch of lies because they have been sold a politicised history.

Posted from TSR Mobile
MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Elysium500)
But they often don't tell the truth and believe a bunch of lies because they have been sold a politicised history.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're a loon aren't you.

Git any more pants You want to share with us about how you have achieved enlightenment.
Elysium500
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
You're a loon aren't you.

Git any more pants You want to share with us about how you have achieved enlightenment.
You do realise that all history and news media is just one point of view don't you. It naturally has to be. If a football lands on the line, each side claims it for their own advantage. That is why Iran will have a different view of history and current events than Britain for example.

Calm down a little. I'm just trying to encourage more expansive thinking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You do realise that all history and news media is just one point of view don't you. It naturally has to be. If a football lands on the line, each side claims it for their own advantage. That is why Iran will have a different view of history and current events than Britain for example.

Calm down a little. I'm just trying to encourage more expansive thinking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes I am aware of that. It tends to be the collection of agreed viewpoints.

Claiming it's all wrong puts you in a rather isolated position with the other crack pots that believe in lizard people.
Elysium500
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes I am aware of that. It tends to be the collection of agreed viewpoints.

Claiming it's all wrong puts you in a rather isolated position with the other crack pots that believe in lizard people.
Agreed by whom? There is an agreed viewpoint on the history of 9/11 by the Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth. I suppose they don't count as an agreed viewpoint in your book. So what is your criterion for deciding whose agreed viewpoint is valid and whose is not?

The next question would be to assess whether your criterion is objective I.e. Does it look at SMART, objective facts and rational arguments or does it simply assume that those with political and mass media power are necessarily correct. For example when Malaysian Airlines flight MH17 was shot down, the Western media decided that Russia shot it down immediately before any investigation had taken place.

Most people would form their conclusions BECAUSE the media and American politicians said that. A rational and objective person would say that it is premature to assign blame because an investigation has not taken place.

The one the investigation has taken place, unless it is reported in the mass media, most people tend to stick to the reported conclusion rather than the investigative conclusion.

The Solomon Ash psychology conformity Experiment (1958) proved that a significant number of people are incapable of independence objective thought and will discount the information they see with their own eyes in favour of what they believe the group thinks.

Please see for yourself. No really; see for yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Agreed by whom? There is an agreed viewpoint on the history of 9/11 by the Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth. I suppose they don't count as an agreed viewpoint in your book. So what is your criterion for deciding whose agreed viewpoint is valid and whose is not?

The next question would be to assess whether your criterion is objective I.e. Does it look at SMART, objective facts and rational arguments or does it simply assume that those with political and mass media power are necessarily correct. For example when Malaysian Airlines flight MH17 was shot down, the Western media decided that Russia shot it down immediately before any investigation had taken place.

Most people would form their conclusions BECAUSE the media and American politicians said that. A rational and objective person would say that it is premature to assign blame because an investigation has not taken place.

The one the investigation has taken place, unless it is reported in the mass media, most people tend to stick to the reported conclusion rather than the investigative conclusion.

The Solomon Ash psychology conformity Experiment (1958) proved that a significant number of people are incapable of independence objective thought and will discount the information they see with their own eyes in favour of what they believe the group thinks.

Please see for yourself. No really; see for yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you feel that you're cleverer than everybody else?

Nobody understands you?

A bit isolated? Difficult to make friends?
Elysium500
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do you feel that you're cleverer than everybody else?

Nobody understands you?

A bit isolated? Difficult to make friends?

No I am not cleverer than most people. I am just more inclined to make objective judgements than take something handed to me as fact.

And no I don't find it hard to get on with people. Most people I speak to face to face becomes in agreement with me. This is with the exception of certain people particular elderly people who do not seem to want to question their underlying premises.

I have also profited quite a lot from people's inherent irrationality by buying and selling stock in the basis of simple financial performance metrics in relation to price. So I have a love hate relationship with irrationality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No I am not cleverer than most people. I am just more inclined to make objective judgements than take something handed to me as fact.

And no I don't find it hard to get on with people. Most people I speak to face to face becomes in agreement with me. This is with the exception of certain people particular elderly people who do not seem to want to question their underlying premises.

I have also profited quite a lot from people's inherent irrationality by buying and selling stock in the basis of simple financial performance metrics in relation to price. So I have a love hate relationship with irrationality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Another loon who plays the sum rock market.

Your other name isn't illegal to be poor is it?
Elysium500
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Another loon who plays the sum rock market.

Your other name isn't illegal to be poor is it?
I don't "play" any markets. I simply buy into value when value is irrationally cheap as opposed to irrationally expensive. It's not playing a market, it's buying no brainier lines.

I am not poor. I have gone from measuring income in terms of multiples of average salary to multiples of PM's salary and am just on my way to the estate agents to pick up the keys to a new flat added to my portfolio yesterday. No joke mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't "play" any markets. I simply buy into value when value is irrationally cheap as opposed to irrationally expensive. It's not playing a market, it's buying no brainier lines.

I am not poor. I have gone from measuring income in terms of multiples of average salary to multiples of PM's salary and am just on my way to the estate agents to pick up the keys to a new flat added to my portfolio yesterday. No joke mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I said you sound like another poster called 'illegal to be poor.'
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (546)
37.73%
No - but I will (113)
7.81%
No - I don't want to (100)
6.91%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (688)
47.55%

Watched Threads