People with anxiety. Please share your stories. Watch

JACKIEKENNEDY
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I have had anxiety since i was 13 but it got worse last year. I would always be stressed. I would even be suicidal. Luckily three weeks ago i went to a psycologist and she gave me medication. Im also getting counselling because my parents are divorced. They would argue all the time and there would be no peace in the house. Luckily my mom said that we are moving out next week. I feel relaxed nowadays and i barely have any stress.

If yall want you can share stories relating to anxiety. For those of you that have it. Stay strong
lucindaaa
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Since having my first anxiety attack summer 2013 looking back I realise I used to get all of the symptoms even before I knew what it was. Through September-December last year I was extremely anxious and had a panic attack pretty much everyday, sometimes I had 2/3 a day.

After a visit to my GP they offered medication though I was against this. My anxiety calmed for a while but since starting sixth form and being in a new school it's gotten progressively worse. The school I'm at now is so supportive though, minus a few teachers, and they've referred me to the school counsellor who I'll be meeting with every week.

I think the main cause of my anxiety is more to do with social things like I can't answer a question in class without running out crying. I barely tell anyone about it but now that I'm meeting with a counsellor hopefully I'll open myself up more.

Sometimes I get really sad and think that I'd be quite happy not being here no more but I have some really good and positive days too so I'm just taking everyday as it comes.

Anxiety is rubbish but I'll hopefully learn how to cope with it and not let it effect every part of my life!
Tylerd94
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've had issues with anxiety since goodness knows when. At the age of 4 my mother had a stroke and remained in a coma until I was 7 to me this meant my mom had left me. My grandparents looked after me from this point, when she came out of the coma our relationship changed I was horrible to her I guess in a way it was me punishing her for leaving me I didn't know any better. Then at the age of 10 she actually did leave me moved away just waving in a cab.

This left me with severe abandonment and attachment issues. She came back when I was 11 but at this point I had OCD the family had counciling when I was 12 never one to one it was just family counselling I don't think it really helped anything seeing as by the age of 13 I was in a children's home until I was 14. When I came out of it. I actually managed to become popular I was captain of a sports team, was a prefect and got head boy at my school everything was going great in my life I was no longer getting into fights or being bullied I really turned my life around I was living with my grandparents now and even home life was great no arguments or fights with them or my mom being in care really helped me.

Then Came April 2012 just before I turned 18 my grandpa's cancer got really bad he couldn't drive anymore confided to a chair it was sad I dropped out of college didn't do my A2 exams and wheb this happened my attachement issues of not being able to get attachrd to anyone become me being attached and I was attachef to alcohol when I turned 18 (June 28th 2012) I would go out all the time drinking every day being the flash kid spending cash like crazy this went on until December when I met the love of my life and I got attached immediately attached but I'd not seeked help with the other sidr and I'd always try to push him away in fear of being abandoned for two years he stayed with me out of love and pity he knew I could be this perfect man and he thought naturally I'd change but without help that would of course never happen and now since the end of October every Thursdat for an hour I am getting counselling I wish I noticed issues sooner we'd be happy and together now it shouldn't of had to be like this for me to realize I clearly need help but that's my story and now I'm getting the help I've needed

The main thing is I'm aware of my issues and I have belief in counseling I should of gotten helo when anxiety attacks began. I've always had suicidal thoughts and one day I even drove to my ex's with alcohol in my car stating that I'd drink it all and jump in the river he managed to stop me he's actually saved my life twice now which he never should of had to do and I'm never going to put him through that again. Sometimes I cry for no reason and think the worst I used to be 100% optimistic and I want that back I'll get there in time I know I can and he will love me again I've nothing to be anxious about I have some of the best friends in the world and an incredible family I'm just always scared I'll lose them and it's time I accept some people really will be with me until the very end. I'm accepting of death now I will come to terms with my grandpa's death and acceot that's a natural part of life but I can't be horrible to people just because I'm thinking 'why make effort they'll leave me anyway' to the point of which with my ex I did put in effort then would be a jerk and look at the bad side of everything like there were time's he'd say hello and kiss me and I'd think 'we didn't he say hello beautiful' and get really anxious about it. Looking ay it those things are silly but people shouldn't judge others you've no idea what's going on in their head he wants space so that I can truly chanhe and with that space I shall prove that what he has thought all along 'this guy can be amazing' shall always be amazing
Rum Ham
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I had panic disorder and agoraphobia. I would say I am pretty much over the worst but still get little blips here and there. I have had anxiety all my life and always been easily stressed but the PD and agoraphobia only started about 2 yrs ago. I decided to treat it without meds as I felt uncomfortable taking a pill for something that is caused by my way of thinking and therapy waiting lists were too long so I had to take it into my own hands when I became housebound.

It was the hardest thing I have ever done. I had support from my bf and mum which I will forever be grateful for. They sometimes had to nearly grab me by the hair to get me outside but it worked. The tough love method worked for me. Nowadays, I still get panic attacks and anxious thoughts every day but I have learned coping methods along the way and the attacks never last as long now or stop me from doing things. For me, anxiety made the thought of doing things feel worse than how it actually feels to do the thing you are scared of. I go to physiotherapy now for my back as I tensed up my muscles that bad for months on end when I was at my worst that my back hasn't been the same since. The physiotherapist also teaches me breathing exercises to help calm me down and lessen the back pain. Anxiety disorders suck but they can be beaten and controlled.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Monk
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In my final year of school last year, my anxiety got so bad I spent most breaks/lunches/free periods walking from toilet to toilet across the school and just killing time. Also left my last day early because I had an anxiety attack and regret that I'll never contact most of the again
Anonymous #1
Report 4 years ago
I'm Riku, and I have shared my story of life with anxiety with the entirety of TSR over the course of 4 years. Fortunately, around half were supportive and have tremendously helped, and I've had a lot of support offline both professional and family/friends too. I am currently still in a bit of a rut, on ESA, but today I am feeling OK
Anonymous #2
Report 4 years ago
hello!
So I felt like there was something wrong with me/my life but I couldn't pin point what it was. I was talking to a friend of mine (who's a long time anxiety sufferer) and she told me it sounded exactly like anxiety. I went home and researched it a bit more and yes I fit the bill perfectly.
I did try to seek help through family and friends. Unfortunately, since I was a young teen and I like rock-ish music nobody took me seriously. It was just seen as a phase or that I was just acting like my life was hard to... fake character or something? I don't even know! But I definitely felt misunderstood. My school also had nothing in plan- they once offered to contact someone who apparently could help, but I never heard anything back about that (I was a bit of a wallflower to say the least so this kind of thing happened a lot)
anyway, I suffered from what I now fully understand as anxiety and panic disorder. this means that there are certain things I will stress unnecessarily about (algebra... for some reason) and sometimes they can lead to panic attacks. But I also have panic attacks that have no apparent cause, and im sure im not the only one who thinks they are the worst. If you suffer from them, just remember again and again that they pass, they end, you can move on.
since then I have left secondary school (high school for non-brits) and in the summer of 2014 I booked myself an appointment at my local GP. I went by myself, it was terrifying I wont lie! But it really helped. I told her I didn't want to take medication, so instead she gave me lots of tips and advise (i'll share below)

1) if you're in a class room/ office ect and you begin to stress and panic you can leave the room! You're not chained to the table, just tell the teacher you're not feeling well and you would like some fresh air. Even if they're evil and say no- you can physically leave! If they want to take it further then that is their problem because you are not in the wrong for wanting just a few minuets alone and you have absolutely nothing to feel ashamed or embarrassed about.
2) breath in slowly, breath out slowly. do this until you're breathing becomes more comfortable/ normal, then try holding it in for more and more seconds (working up to holding your breath for ten seconds) it will help distract you from the problem and calm you down
3) my doctor recommended https://moodgym.anu.edu.au/welcome for lots of mental health disorders

im now 16 and at college. Im enjoying college a lot more than school so it has made things a lot easier. It sounds corny, but it helps to step out of your 'comfort zone'- it's scary and stressful sometimes, so just take small baby steps and you'll be fine I promise! I nearly peed myself in my first week trying to make friends, and last week I went to a friends-friends Halloween party and had a lot of fun I still feel proud haha!
and that's the other thing- search for little happy things! I know the aftermath of a panic attack is something people who don't suffer from them can forget about, but from my experience you're left feeling... bugh. (if you're a harry potter fan like myself, you may know it feels like when harry sees a dementor for the first time and he collapses and after he's really disoriented and blugh-feeling) so go eat chocolate. it's the only way
notcoolnerd
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
hello!
So I felt like there was something wrong with me/my life but I couldn't pin point what it was. I was talking to a friend of mine (who's a long time anxiety sufferer) and she told me it sounded exactly like anxiety. I went home and researched it a bit more and yes I fit the bill perfectly.
I did try to seek help through family and friends. Unfortunately, since I was a young teen and I like rock-ish music nobody took me seriously. It was just seen as a phase or that I was just acting like my life was hard to... fake character or something? I don't even know! But I definitely felt misunderstood. My school also had nothing in plan- they once offered to contact someone who apparently could help, but I never heard anything back about that (I was a bit of a wallflower to say the least so this kind of thing happened a lot)
anyway, I suffered from what I now fully understand as anxiety and panic disorder. this means that there are certain things I will stress unnecessarily about (algebra... for some reason) and sometimes they can lead to panic attacks. But I also have panic attacks that have no apparent cause, and im sure im not the only one who thinks they are the worst. If you suffer from them, just remember again and again that they pass, they end, you can move on.
since then I have left secondary school (high school for non-brits) and in the summer of 2014 I booked myself an appointment at my local GP. I went by myself, it was terrifying I wont lie! But it really helped. I told her I didn't want to take medication, so instead she gave me lots of tips and advise (i'll share below)

1) if you're in a class room/ office ect and you begin to stress and panic you can leave the room! You're not chained to the table, just tell the teacher you're not feeling well and you would like some fresh air. Even if they're evil and say no- you can physically leave! If they want to take it further then that is their problem because you are not in the wrong for wanting just a few minuets alone and you have absolutely nothing to feel ashamed or embarrassed about.
2) breath in slowly, breath out slowly. do this until you're breathing becomes more comfortable/ normal, then try holding it in for more and more seconds (working up to holding your breath for ten seconds) it will help distract you from the problem and calm you down
3) my doctor recommended https://moodgym.anu.edu.au/welcome for lots of mental health disorders

im now 16 and at college. Im enjoying college a lot more than school so it has made things a lot easier. It sounds corny, but it helps to step out of your 'comfort zone'- it's scary and stressful sometimes, so just take small baby steps and you'll be fine I promise! I nearly peed myself in my first week trying to make friends, and last week I went to a friends-friends Halloween party and had a lot of fun I still feel proud haha!
and that's the other thing- search for little happy things! I know the aftermath of a panic attack is something people who don't suffer from them can forget about, but from my experience you're left feeling... bugh. (if you're a harry potter fan like myself, you may know it feels like when harry sees a dementor for the first time and he collapses and after he's really disoriented and blugh-feeling) so go eat chocolate. it's the only way
This was really helpful, thank you, and I'm glad things are going well for you
phaedron
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JACKIEKENNEDY)
I have had anxiety since i was 13 but it got worse last year. I would always be stressed. I would even be suicidal. Luckily three weeks ago i went to a psycologist and she gave me medication. Im also getting counselling because my parents are divorced. They would argue all the time and there would be no peace in the house. Luckily my mom said that we are moving out next week. I feel relaxed nowadays and i barely have any stress.

If yall want you can share stories relating to anxiety. For those of you that have it. Stay strong
Hope everything is ok J K hugs :hugs:
ZoeSlocombe
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have had anxiety for as long as I can remember haha, always scared about something. I have seen a psychologist and he confirmed that mine is mainly social anxiety. So I feel embarrassed and nervous just walking around my Uni campus, worrying about working in groups, I can't contribute to seminar discussions because I just get so worked up and scared that I'll sound stupid and make myself look like an idiot. I feel sick and my heartbeat goes up a huge amount in lectures because I feel trapped in a room full of people. I don't really eat in front of anyone, whenever I go to buy food I feel like people are laughing about what I'm buying, it's just like I freeze up and cannot function in social situations.
It's exhausting and frustrating, I get tired being around others. And I know it's irrational because nobody cares what I buy or what I look like or sound like etc., not really. Dunno what to do, I'm so fed up with it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (377)
37.44%
No - but I will (77)
7.65%
No - I don't want to (71)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (482)
47.86%

Watched Threads