Medicine vs Nursing Debate Watch

TheTrueLondoner
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Okay so first of all, my sister is a nurse. And we were having a discussion about nursing with my aunt. And my aunt kept saying things like 'hopefully one day you'll become a doctor' and 'why don't you train as a doctor?' Ect all these comments were out of love lol but it really p!ssed my sister off and there was this huge family argument...

I tried to explain to my aunt that nursing and medicine are two totally separate career paths. Like, one doesn't lead to the other. :/ tut

anywho... I wanted to know others opinions/knowledge on the following questions:

1) In what ways is the nursing course and medicine course different at uni?

2)Why some people think that there's no point being a nurse, you should just be a doctor?

3) Why nursing is often looked down on? Whereas medicine is treated with the utmost respect?

4) Someone told me that nurses know just as much as doctors. Your opinions on this

5) any other general comments on the 'Medicine vs Nursing topic'

Thx ( also I'm in no way biased towards nursing...seeing as I'll be doing medicine at uni )
vee_wuvshugs
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TheTrueLondoner)
x
Being a Dr, you make the decisions and the plans for the patients care but as nurse you're the one who executes those plans and spend a lot of time with the patients. That's the simplest way to describe the two roles in a hospital environment.
InArduisFouette
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TheTrueLondoner)
Okay so first of all, my sister is a nurse. And we were having a discussion about nursing with my aunt. And my aunt kept saying things like 'hopefully one day you'll become a doctor' and 'why don't you train as a doctor?' Ect all these comments were out of love lol but it really p!ssed my sister off and there was this huge family argument...

I tried to explain to my aunt that nursing and medicine are two totally separate career paths. Like, one doesn't lead to the other. :/ tut

anywho... I wanted to know others opinions/knowledge on the following questions:

1) In what ways is the nursing course and medicine course different at uni?

2)Why some people think that there's no point being a nurse, you should just be a doctor?

3) Why nursing is often looked down on? Whereas medicine is treated with the utmost respect?

4) Someone told me that nurses know just as much as doctors. Your opinions on this

5) any other general comments on the 'Medicine vs Nursing topic'

Thx ( also I'm in no way biased towards nursing...seeing as I'll be doing medicine at uni )
1. for a short period in the 1990s Nursing and Medicine co-existed as University level subjects and in some places in the same HEIs ( Notably Nottingham and Sheffield as the mid and North Trent contracts when to Nottingham and Sheffield respectively - Nottingham still retains a significant presence in the 'mid trent' area , Sheffield lost it's pre-reg contract to SHU as the powers that be wanted to rebalance the contract so both UoS and SHU had roughly equal numbers - and Dame Betty Kershaw ( who iirc was dean of Sheffield SoN at the time said 'status quo' or nowt and they got nowt ).

At this time you still had some degree of clinical / pre clinical split in the medical curriculum when for the first 2 years the life of the medical student was very much along the lines of any STEM student ...

Nursing 's transition to HEI based preparation for practice is painted as sum as students spending far longer in class than they did before traditional Nurse training ( when students were employed a hospital based school of nursing was 1/3 theory 1/3 being a student nurse 1/3 being a skivvy ) when 'project 2000' established a 50 / 50 theory practice split

by the time the second generation HE Nursing pre-reg courses came around in the mid to late 1990s concerns over the lack of 'early clinical experience' were addressed by having the first placement begin in week 8 at many HEIs.

The principal difference between Nursing and Medicine is the duration of the course 3 * 40 -45 week years for Nursing and 5 years for medicne with at least 3 of them being 40 -45 week years . In part this is explained by the Branch structure of Nursing , where pre-reg medicine includes Psych and Paeds to a greater extent than Adult Branch Nursing includes Mental Health / learning disabilities and Child branch branch content ( and mix it around as required for other branches)

2. they don;t know what Nurses do and think that nurses do what HCAs do and give out a few pills

3. numbers and ubiquity of Nurses don;t help plus the fact that in the days of traditional training you could enter via 'cadet schemes' with CSEs and there were still a few HEIs offering NQF2 entry right up to the death of DipHE training ...

4. yes but we know different things and an experienced Nurse will know increasing amounts of the 'medicine' of the specialities they work in.

5,. the bungfights start for one of two reasons

a)ignorance over what Nurses can do
b) arrogance from Junior Doctors who think they are 'in charge of' Nurses in some way .. when in the case of a HO (FY1) /SHO (FY2 - ST2) on call asking a Doctor to review a patient it;s the Nurse who will take the greater share of accountability for things overall.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (315)
37.77%
No - but I will (64)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.43%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (393)
47.12%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed