Council Tax Watch

Aviator
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am a student and I received a letter from the council tax. According to my information since I am a student I should be exempted from paying any council tax. The letter I received shows that I am exempted from paying the council tax but they are requesting that I pay a charge of £37.24. Is this normal or should I go and contact them ? Thanks.
donutaud15
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Definitely contact them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Asklepios
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aviator)
I am a student and I received a letter from the council tax. According to my information since I am a student I should be exempted from paying any council tax. The letter I received shows that I am exempted from paying the council tax but they are requesting that I pay a charge of £37.24. Is this normal or should I go and contact them ? Thanks.
Normally you need to apply for exemption

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aviator
Rep:
?
Yes I did apply. This is the price breakdown the sent me.

Gross Charge: 832.90
25% Discount: -12.43
Property Exemption: -783.23

Total 37.24
donutaud15
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do you live alone? As far as I know you don't pay council tax if you live alone or if every person who lives in the house is a student. If there are people who are not students then you only get 25% discount so that breakdown could be right.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aviator
Rep:
?
I live on my own. I will go tomorrow and check it out then. Thanks.
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In order to get the full exemption, you need to get a Council Tax Exemption form from your uni and present it to the council at their Housing Office. If you haven't done that, then you'll be assessed as a non-student. Sounds like that might be the case.

Also, you can only get the full exemption while you're a full-time student. If you moved into the property before the official start date of your course, then you would be liable to pay the single occupant Council Tax rate from when you moved in, up to the start date. This could also explain your bill.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (399)
37.64%
No - but I will (82)
7.74%
No - I don't want to (75)
7.08%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (504)
47.55%

Watched Threads