Applying for medicine after taking a 2 gap years? Watch

xxbethxx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I took a gap year between AS and A2 level due to ill health and am currently completing my A2 levels. Therefore it will have taken me a total of 3 years instead of the 2 years they ask for to complete my A levels. After my A2 levels I plan to take another gap year as I have left it too late to apply and want to do lots of work experience to improve my application. However I am wondering if medical schools will take into consideration extenuating circumstances or if i will not be accepted due to taking a gap year in between AS and A2? Also will it look bad that i have taken yet another gap year after A2? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated thank you. Obviously if i have no chance of getting into medical school because of this i would like to apply for biomedical science with the hope of transferring to medicine at a later point in time. Thank you.
indigobluesss
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi,

I don't think there's anything wrong with taking a gap year after A2, I think it'll actually help your application.

On the other hand, I think there's a problem with you having took a gap year between AS and A2. Most universities make it very clear that if it's taken you more than 2 years to complete your A-levels, your application won't even be considered. There are a few who accept people who've taken more than that time, given that they've obtained all A's overall.

You have to do your own research and find out which unis will consider you prior to applying to avoid inevitable rejections.

Also, have you sat the UKCAT/BMAT before? Even for practice?
purplefrog
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So long as your circumstances are clearly communicated in your reference, it should be okay. Though your best bet would be to contact the medical schools you are considering to ask if it's okay for you to apply and secondly how you should let them know of this (e.g., in your reference or would a separate letter/email suffice?).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (387)
37.28%
No - but I will (80)
7.71%
No - I don't want to (72)
6.94%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (499)
48.07%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed