?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
[Redacted]
Project Tsukyomi
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
College give you a bursary fund to support student with low income. they get up to like £1200 a year one of my friends gets £150 every term and another friend I know gets £200 per term.
Paralove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'd talk to someone at school about your situation. If your parents are going to kick you at 16, there should be some support somewhere - I know people who have family issues getting accommodation elsewhere that is cheap, while they studied but worked part time. You will not be able to work full time and do A-Levels purely due to time constraints.
Project Tsukyomi
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I missed the part your an immigrant so then I don't know.
Project Tsukyomi
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Project Tsukyomi)
I missed the part your an immigrant so then I don't know.
I meant this in a non-offensive way, I just didn't read the entire question.
owwwww2
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I can't offer you strong advice but I can suggest some ideas. If you're moving out then it might be a good idea to find (google) council flats/houses around your area because they are a lot cheaper to rent. Since you're only 15/16 the type of jobs you can go into are limited. One suggestion could be working in a restaurant; one advantage of working in a restaurant is that it is very possible to ask for extra hours (more hours=more money) if you have the energy and time. Also, don't limit yourself to jobs near your potential residence, maybe extend your search up to a 1-1.5h train/bus commute for more potential opportunities (if you can).
Furthermore, as well as applying for jobs directly to companies, also look into agencies. Agencies basically receive commission if they can successfully find someone to work in a particular company. One example is "Class 1", google it.
Note: if you find a job through an agency, I think you are obliged to do 5 days a week minimum but they can call you at inopportune times to ask if you can come in an extra day. Since you are studying you should be okay.

I knew a few Bulgarians/Romanians/Latvians/Polish people who worked with me at a theme park and they all shared their stories with me

Having said that, I would strongly consider the hours you want to work because studying and working is very challenging, especially if you want to do full time.
Paralove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Yourolddeer)
Thanks for the advice
I will definitely talk to someone at my school. I don't have any "family issues" though, just been told to move out as soon as I'm 16 and finished secondary school (at least not during GCSE exams the minute I actually turn 16).

Also, I've just looked at the full time job/A-level combination, and found that I could juust have enough time if its a night job, but I would literally have no life... And that's without the volunteering I have to do if I want to get onto my course....
They're going to kick you out at 16.
cheeriosarenice
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by owwwww2)
I can't offer you strong advice but I can suggest some ideas. If you're moving out then it might be a good idea to find (google) council flats/houses around your area because they are a lot cheaper to rent. Since you're only 15/16 the type of jobs you can go into are limited. One suggestion could be working in a restaurant; one advantage of working in a restaurant is that it is very possible to ask for extra hours (more hours=more money) if you have the energy and time. Also, don't limit yourself to jobs near your potential residence, maybe extend your search up to a 1-1.5h train/bus commute for more potential opportunities (if you can).
Furthermore, as well as applying for jobs directly to companies, also look into agencies. Agencies basically receive commission if they can successfully find someone to work in a particular company. One example is "Class 1", google it.
Note: if you find a job through an agency, I think you are obliged to do 5 days a week minimum but they can call you at inopportune times to ask if you can come in an extra day. Since you are studying you should be okay.

I knew a few Bulgarians/Romanians/Latvians/Polish people who worked with me at a theme park and they all shared their stories with me

Having said that, I would strongly consider the hours you want to work because studying and working is very challenging, especially if you want to do full time.
You do realise that the waiting list for a council flat/house is 5 - 10 years?
cheeriosarenice
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks for the advice
I will definitely talk to someone at my school. I don't have any "family issues" though, just been told to move out as soon as I'm 16 and finished secondary school (at least not during GCSE exams the minute I actually turn 16).

Also, I've just looked at the full time job/A-level combination, and found that I could juust have enough time if its a night job, but I would literally have no life... And that's without the volunteering I have to do if I want to get onto my course....
It's not exactly normal for your parents to kick you out at 16. They can get child benefit until 19/20 anyway... I don't think they can legally kick you out until you are 18. What town/ city do you live in?
balotelli12
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by cheeriosarenice)
It's not exactly normal for your parents to kick you out at 16. They can get child benefit until 19/20 anyway... I don't think they can legally kick you out until you are 18. What town/ city do you live in?
Yes they can
owwwww2
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You do realise that the waiting list for a council flat/house is 5 - 10 years?
No I didn't.
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You can probably get income support and housing benefit. I had both when I was "doing my A levels" as I left home at 16. Contact your local council and see if they have young people housing officers - they will be the best people to talk to.
Samwin
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would consider going on income support, speak to someone about this either at school or have a looksie here.... https://www.gov.uk/income-support/overview If needs be someone at the job center or school may be able to assist you properly Either way I do wish you luck!
cheeriosarenice
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Northampton.
Phone or visit these 2 then and explain situation, and ask for best options.

http://foyer.net/foyers/northampton-...pport-service/

http://foyer.net/foyers/northampton/
cheeriosarenice
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ByronicHero)
You can probably get income support and housing benefit. I had both when I was "doing my A levels" as I left home at 16. Contact your local council and see if they have young people housing officers - they will be the best people to talk to.
Where did you live whilst on income support, nd how could you afford it?
I was on it but left college to work as I had to use £20 of the £56 from income support to top up my housing benefit which was about £60.
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Where did you live whilst on income support, nd how could you afford it?
I was on it but left college to work as I had to use £20 of the £56 from income support to top up my housing benefit which was about £60.
In a small room, in a shared house. It wasn't great but I'd slept in far worse places. You can live on 36 pound a week pretty easily, I lived on a lot less for weeks on end when they stopped paying me for X or Y semi-arbitrary reason.
cheeriosarenice
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In a small room, in a shared house. It wasn't great but I'd slept in far worse places. You can live on 36 pound a week pretty easily, I lived on a lot less for weeks on end when they stopped paying me for X or Y semi-arbitrary reason.
I don't mind the room size, it's just the other people who I had to live with, and I guess that cheap rooms are always going to attract weird people/ people with problems, although most will be fine. Were you sharing with people your age?
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't mind the room size, it's just the other people who I had to live with, and I guess that cheap rooms are always going to attract weird people/ people with problems, although most will be fine. Were you sharing with people your age?
No, I lived variously with people with mental health issues, alcoholics and prolific drug users. This wasn't a huge deal for me but we all have differing experiences which decide how comfortable we are living with different types of people.
cheeriosarenice
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No, I lived variously with people with mental health issues, alcoholics and prolific drug users. This wasn't a huge deal for me but we all have differing experiences which decide how comfortable we are living with different types of people.
Did they smoke drugs in the house? Did you have your own fridge in your room?
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Did they smoke drugs in the house? Did you have your own fridge in your room?
Yes. No.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (211)
39.66%
No - but I will (35)
6.58%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.77%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (250)
46.99%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise