resitting GCSE's for the 3rd time? Will it look unpleasant on UCAS? Watch

Evens Beaute
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
2 of my cousins (17 &19) will be resitting their GCSE's for the 3RD TIME.
The highest they've achieved was MOSTLY C's and 1 B. They are planning to resit Physics(C), English (B), Biology(C) and Physiology(C) on November and they'll leave the other subjects as it is.
Will universities (Medicine/Engineering/Pharmacy) look at THEIR HIGHEST GRADES achieved. for example in physics FIRST ATTEMPT: C then SECOND ATTEMPT: B and for the third attempt they got an A*, will their grades look unpleasant on their UCAS as they've resat loads of times to achieve A*'s??
anunoriginaluser
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Are they planning on doing A-Levels? I'm not aware of any university that'd admit someone with just GCSEs?

What circumstances? Have they read around their subjects? What universities? What subject(s)? There's no one answer and even given the specific circumstances no-one can say for definite.
Evens Beaute
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by anunoriginaluser)
Are they planning on doing A-Levels? I'm not aware of any university that'd admit someone with just GCSEs?

What circumstances? Have they read around their subjects? What universities? What subject(s)? There's no one answer and even given the specific circumstances no-one can say for definite.
Yeah, the 19 year old one is done with his A level (Maths, Biology, Chemistry & English)(ABBCb), he's planning to take medicine in either Imperial college/UCL and the 17 year old one will sit her A levels on june 2015, planning to take civil-engineeringin Bath or Imperial college.
anunoriginaluser
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Evens Beaute)
Yeah, the 19 year old one is done with his A level (Maths, Biology, Chemistry & English)(ABBCb), he's planning to take medicine in either Imperial college/UCL and the 17 year old one will sit her A levels on june 2015, planning to take civil-engineeringin Bath or Imperial college.
ICL's medicine requirement as far as I can tell is AAAb or AAAC at A-Level; I'd imagine UCL's isn't much different. They also ask for these GCSEs:
All applicants must have the following subjects at GCSE level, at grades AAABB or above (in any order):

Biology (or Human Biology)
Chemistry
English Language
Mathematics (or Additional Mathematics or Statistics)

Physics
ICL and UCL are some of the most competitive universities and medicine is one of (if not the) most competitive courses in the UK; while ICL and UCL aren't necessarily the best in medicine, when you add these two factors, there's going to be a lot of issues with them getting admission, unfortunately.

I'm assuming they would have at least looked up the A2 requirements though; am I missing something?
izpenguin
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Your cousin is not going to get into a standard medical course with those A level grades. If they have extenuating circumstances they may be able to do a course with a foundation year, I'm not sure.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (404)
37.72%
No - but I will (82)
7.66%
No - I don't want to (75)
7%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (510)
47.62%

Watched Threads