A Level Choices for Law at University Watch

Melissa.J.Parkes
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey, I am currently a Year 10 student and I realise that this is a bit early for me personally. However, I have already been planning ahead in terms of A level choices and potential Universitity degrees. So, to begin I was wondering if these A level subjects are practical for a law degree at a top tier university (Oxbridge, Durham, UCL, LSE, KCL): History, Economics, Maths (and Further Maths or Chemistry). I have chosen 2 essay-based subjects (History and Economics) which are suitable towards law. I have chosen Maths and Further Maths because my "back-up" or other career choice is Investment Banking (IB). Any replies are appreciated.
Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Melissa.J.Parkes)
Hey, I am currently a Year 10 student and I realise that this is a bit early for me personally. However, I have already been planning ahead in terms of A level choices and potential Universitity degrees. So, to begin I was wondering if these A level subjects are practical for a law degree at a top tier university (Oxbridge, Durham, UCL, LSE, KCL): History, Economics, Maths (and Further Maths or Chemistry). I have chosen 2 essay-based subjects (History and Economics) which are suitable towards law. I have chosen Maths and Further Maths because my "back-up" or other career choice is Investment Banking (IB). Any replies are appreciated.
They seem an excellent choice. There are no specified A levels for Law, although I believe Cambridge prefers Maths and at least 1 essay subject is a good idea. That said, I know 2 people currently studying law at decent universities (Cambridge and Nottingham) who did Maths, Further Maths, Physics, French, i.e. no traditional essay subject.
Melissa.J.Parkes
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Compost)
They seem an excellent choice. There are no specified A levels for Law, although I believe Cambridge prefers Maths and at least 1 essay subject is a good idea. That said, I know 2 people currently studying law at decent universities (Cambridge and Nottingham) who did Maths, Further Maths, Physics, French, i.e. no traditional essay subject.
Thank you for your rapid reply, it is greatly appreciated. Wow, it is really reassuring that people you personally know have not studied essay subjects, as at first I felt that I would have to painfully force myself to do English Literature at A level. Well, not that I would mind studying it at A level as I am on track to achieve an A* at GCSE level. "Decent universities" that is an understatement don't you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (213)
39.23%
No - but I will (38)
7%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.63%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (256)
47.15%

Watched Threads