Modern languages Bristol vs Southampton Watch

ashleyjane
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Applying to study French and German, I really like the course at Southampton and there's a lot of detail on the website about modules etc, but would definitely prefer Bristol as a place to live..
I like the look of the Bristol course too from what I can see (get to go to both countries in year abroad, opportunity to favour one of the two languages) but I can't really find much detail about the context modules? I've heard it's a lot of literature but i don't mind that because I enjoy literature, but does anyone know what the other modules available are like? Or is anyone else applying for/already studying languages and can tell me how the course/Bristol in general is going what with nightlight, money, accommodation etc? I know someone studying languages at Southampton so can ask them loads of questions but don't know anyone at Bristol so don't know so much about it!
SvLy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have the same problem as you - would appreciate any information too.
Scherazade07
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm a first year student at Bristol, so I can only really tell you what some of the modules are like because they change each teaching block and we're still in teaching block 1. I've got a few literature modules (a German play and poetry) and a lecture and seminar on Italian history (I'm doing German post a-level and Italian ab initio). I know a few people who are doing the linguistics modules at the moment and some of them like it and some don't, but I've really enjoyed everything I've done so far (and the professors are really good and helpful).
ashleyjane
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Scherazade07)
I'm a first year student at Bristol, so I can only really tell you what some of the modules are like because they change each teaching block and we're still in teaching block 1. I've got a few literature modules (a German play and poetry) and a lecture and seminar on Italian history (I'm doing German post a-level and Italian ab initio). I know a few people who are doing the linguistics modules at the moment and some of them like it and some don't, but I've really enjoyed everything I've done so far (and the professors are really good and helpful).
That's good to hear that the professors are good because when I looked around Bristol I didn't go on an official open day so didn't get to speak to any staff! What are the resources like, like the library and sports?
Scherazade07
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm not a very big sports player, so I don't know about the sports facilities, but I've seen the big sports centre up near the Arts library and some of my friends have said the facilities are good. The multimedia centre in the languages complex is amazing - it's got DVDs for every foreign language, there are computers and TVs and recording rooms. The Arts library is also really good and efficient and there's even a cafe in there so you can stay there for lunch and so on. I also do music, and the Victoria Rooms where the music department is are incredible; it's really easy to join the wind and string orchestras, just turn up on the day, so if you do play an instrument Bristol is pretty good for that.
sydneybridge
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you need more info about any course, just email the Dept and ask - they won't mind.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Jun '19
  • University of Bristol
    Sat, 15 Jun '19
  • University of Bristol
    Sat, 7 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (292)
37.63%
No - but I will (55)
7.09%
No - I don't want to (56)
7.22%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (373)
48.07%

Watched Threads