Rebekah98
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello there! This is my first time posting so I apologise if I say anything wrong

We had to write an essay the other day for English, which compared the way hate was portrayed from three different occasions in Romeo and Juliet. The first one I wrote about was the Prince's speech in Act 1 Scene 1. I said "The audience is aware of the Prince's hate when he says 'What you, you men, you beasts!'. The use of the word 'beasts' makes the audience think of a viscous animal that cannot be tamed." I wrote a bit more around that too. We then had it marked and have targets to improve our work, and mine says "You could use literary terminology to describe some words- e.g. what is 'beasts'?" I don't really understand what it means though. Is it like the opposite to personification? Which literary term fits it best?
Thanks to anyone who helps me, it's very appreciated
Rebekah
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Rebekah98)
Hello there! This is my first time posting so I apologise if I say anything wrong

We had to write an essay the other day for English, which compared the way hate was portrayed from three different occasions in Romeo and Juliet. The first one I wrote about was the Prince's speech in Act 1 Scene 1. I said "The audience is aware of the Prince's hate when he says 'What you, you men, you beasts!'. The use of the word 'beasts' makes the audience think of a viscous animal that cannot be tamed." I wrote a bit more around that too. We then had it marked and have targets to improve our work, and mine says "You could use literary terminology to describe some words- e.g. what is 'beasts'?" I don't really understand what it means though. Is it like the opposite to personification? Which literary term fits it best?
Thanks to anyone who helps me, it's very appreciated
Rebekah
Literary terminology could mean anything from a metaphor to personification. I would say metaphor would fit nicely. Or you could say the "connotation of the word beasts suggests...." connotation is a literary term too. So either word would be fine, but you just have to reword your sentence when deciding which one you would like to have.
Rebekah98
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
Literary terminology could mean anything from a metaphor to personification. I would say metaphor would fit nicely. Or you could say the "connotation of the word beasts suggests...." connotation is a literary term too. So either word would be fine, but you just have to reword your sentence when deciding which one you would like to have.
thank you so much!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (27)
13.04%
I need help researching courses (14)
6.76%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.35%
I need help with my personal statement (86)
41.55%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (52)
25.12%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.45%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (16)
7.73%

Watched Threads