The Student Room Group

If a stranger came up to you in the street and wanted to chat?

What would you do? Assuming they were reasonably well presented, daytime in a public place, nothing untoward about them and you haven't got anything to do?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'd probably make an excuse that I need to go somewhere (which probably wouldn't be a lie anyway since I wouldn't just be idling on the street).
Original post by ClaraOswald
What would you do? Assuming they were reasonably well presented, daytime in a public place, nothing untoward about them and you haven't got anything to do?

Thanks to care in the community there are a lot of strange people out there.

Otherwise they are probably a politician
Reply 3
I'd kill them
i would probably nervously back away, i would get really anxious in a situation like this (inb4 armin)
Reply 5
I'd suspect them of wanting my credit card details so would walk by.
Original post by Hopple
I'd suspect them of wanting my credit card details so would walk by.

This tbh. In the city centre near where I live there are a lot of smartly dressed people who try to talk to you in order to sell you things etc. I always just say 'Sorry I don't have the time right now!' And keep walking.
i would arks them if they were Saved
Original post by Precious Illusions
This tbh. In the city centre near where I live there are a lot of smartly dressed people who try to talk to you in order to sell you things etc. I always just say 'Sorry I don't have the time right now!' And keep walking.

My favourite is "Sorry I'm rushing to catch a train". Works every time.
Original post by ClaraOswald

Depends why they were approaching me but normally I give people my time, if I am really not interested or they want money then I make an excuse. I let a preacher pray for me in the middle of a high street before... It was odd. :s-smilie:
"I poor student, me no money". I'd speak broken English till they got the hint.
Reply 11
Slate me all you want, but I'd be more likely to stop and chat if they were an attractive female closer to my age than any other demographic. I.E If it was an older guy looking to chat I'd probably be "busy" :smile:
Original post by Lee R

That works as well :laugh:
I would talk with them, assuming I don't have somewhere to be. I'm rarely in such a rush that I can't stop for a 5 minute conversation though.
Original post by Lee R

Especially galling if you then enter the travel boutique directly opposite to idly leaf through copies of Interrailing Monthly for the next three hours, before leaving empty-handed.
(edited 9 years ago)
So long as I wasn't in a rush, I would actually stop and talk out of politeness. :blush:
Original post by Maid Marian
So long as I wasn't in a rush, I would actually stop and talk out of politeness. :blush:

What if you knew they only wanted a sale?
I could give some time. Otherwise just be blunt and say no.

I'd use parkour if necessary as well.
Original post by Lee R
What if you knew they only wanted a sale?

Oh, then I'd be like ":redface: *shuffle away quick*"
Original post by Maid Marian
Oh, then I'd be like ":redface: *shuffle away quick*"

Haha!

It's harder when you're on a night out and a hot brunette with dark eyes (I like girls with dark eyes) comes up to you - you know she only wants to get you in her bar for commission. I struggle to say no! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest