Psychology in Computer Science PS Watch

Toy Soldiers
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi there,

I'm struggling in adding the relevance of Psychology in my Computer Science personal statement. I was wondering if anyone can help me out. The only ideas that came to mind would be the processing of memory and could chuck in a bit of stuff on AI.

Thanks,

Toy
Marina-B
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Perhaps you could mention that Psychology is something that really intrigues you because it is all about the human brain and what happens "step by step" to result in a certain action or feeling occurring this thus links in with computer science as similar to the brain, a set of algorithms are carried out to create a certain action/ response. Also you need to be able to think logically in computer science (step by step) similar to the study pattern of Psychology?...
These are just some ideas of course that you somewhat previously mentioned.
Hope this helped!
Toy Soldiers
Rep:
?
(Original post by Marina-B)
Perhaps you could mention that Psychology is something that really intrigues you because it is all about the human brain and what happens "step by step" to result in a certain action or feeling occurring this thus links in with computer science as similar to the brain, a set of algorithms are carried out to create a certain action/ response. Also you need to be able to think logically in computer science (step by step) similar to the study pattern of Psychology?...
These are just some ideas of course that you somewhat previously mentioned.
Hope this helped!
Hey! Thanks for your response.

Yeah, I really like your idea, and it has certainly sparked what I want to write in my personal statement. Thanks for your help, Marina.
alleycat393
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why do you need to show the relevance of psychology to computer science?

If you're trying to write a statement for both psychology and co,pure science I suggest you don't as they aren't similar in any way and you run the risk of not getting any offers. Find out if your unis will accept separate statements and if not you have to choose one subject.

If you're trying to talk about your A levels in your statement please don't as you're wasting space. What you learn at A level isn't unique to you and please don't try to make unrealistic connections between two unrelated subjects.

Quote if you want a reply!
BSc Biochemistry University of York
Working towards a PhD at Queen Mary University of London
Toy Soldiers
Rep:
?
(Original post by alleycat393)
Why do you need to show the relevance of psychology to computer science?

If you're trying to write a statement for both psychology and co,pure science I suggest you don't as they aren't similar in any way and you run the risk of not getting any offers. Find out if your unis will accept separate statements and if not you have to choose one subject.

If you're trying to talk about your A levels in your statement please don't as you're wasting space. What you learn at A level isn't unique to you and please don't try to make unrealistic connections between two unrelated subjects.

I was just trying to show a link and to show how Psychology, in a way, would encourage me to join Computer Science. I guess it was wasting space. I've linked Maths and Business pretty well with my statement, but only Psychology is a struggle. You make a really good point, so I'll take it into consideration.
alleycat393
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You don't need to talk about your A level choices at all. Admissions officers can see what you've studied on your application already and know what those subjects are about.

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (219)
39.39%
No - but I will (38)
6.83%
No - I don't want to (37)
6.65%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (262)
47.12%

Watched Threads