Dep. of Education says an obligation to teach gay rights is 'nonsense' Watch

Everglow
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Department of Education @educationgovuk)
Nonsense to say schools ‘must teach gay rights’. We want schools to teach broad curric based on British values
Education department officials have been criticised after appearing to suggest that gay rights are not “British values”.

Labour MPs have queried a tweet, issued by the Department for Education, which drew a distinction between “teaching gay rights” and reforms to the curriculum that will make it obligatory for schools to teach “British values” of respect and tolerance for gay people.

The reforms are a response to the Trojan Horse plot in which extremist religious doctrines were taught in state schools. Under the new rules, faith schools must teach children to be tolerant of gay relationships and transgender people.

Schools that fail to follow the rules on “actively promoting” British values of tolerance will be judged inadequate by inspectors and face closure.
However, Labour said the distinction between gay rights and "British values" was wrong.

Tristram Hunt, the shadow education secretary, responded: “LGBT rights are British values. The Department for Education must back compulsory sex and relationship education, including LGBT rights.”

Andy Slaughter, the Labour MP for Hammersmith, said the department should clarify whether it regards gay rights as “British values”. Shaun Dellenty, a gay rights activist, said the tweet was "appalling".

The tweet was subsequently deleted.
he policy has been met with opposition from Christian groups, who warn it poses a threat to religious liberty.

While the rules encompass Christian and Jewish schools, sources said the initiative is squarely aimed at schools at risk of being targeted by so-called Trojan Horse plots in which radical Islamists attempt to take over state schools. Teachers at one Birmingham school implicated in a plot called for “satanic” homosexuality to be “eradicated”.

Inspectors will seek out schools who are “indoctrinating or alienating” children by teaching them to be intolerant of same-sex marriage, or those that force girls to sit at the back of the class.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...parks-row.html

An interestingly controversial and distasteful tweet to make with not long to go until next year's General Election. What do people think about this issue? Should there be an obligation to teach children about gay rights in schools?
tearteto
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The labour MP didn't walk the line (in the loop? anyone? ) - £10 says the MP will resign before the next election.
I think tolerance of people's differences - sex, class, colour, sexuality and creed should be a given in any respectable education system. It helps to accelerate the liberal changers that may otherwise be hindered by the last generation's influence (whether that influence was intended or not).
Pegasus2
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Reluire)
Should there be an obligation to teach children about gay rights in schools?

No. Not specifically anyway.

I think after a days worth of educating the last thing they want to hear is about people's rights.

I wonder if their definition in the final parargraph about " being intollerant" means disagreeing with.
llys
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think it's probably just a case of someone not using a very precise formulation and subsequently being misunderstood.

Here's what I first thought when I read it: Probably some fanatic was complaining about the DofE forcing schools to teach gay rights to "innocent little children", and then the DofE spokesperson probably tried to clarify that this was not the case, that gay rights are just one example to illustrate British values, that there are many others, and that schools can use age-appropriate examples as they see fit.
nohomo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think gay rights should be taught in schools. This shouldn't distress or anger anyone:

TurboCretin
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I agree with Ilys - it looks to me like they were saying that support for gay rights would be subsumed under broader reinforcement of British values, such as tolerance and respect. Lack of tact from the government official, but hardly a cause for uproar...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (477)
38.16%
No - but I will (95)
7.6%
No - I don't want to (88)
7.04%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (590)
47.2%

Watched Threads