personal statement quotations? Watch

rosieoct96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I visited Leeds University open day a couple of weeks ago now, after already writing my personal statement, they recomended to add in a quotation to include within it which has been said by an artist as I'm wanting to study Fine Art at University. However at my college the majority of teachers have said to not include quotes what so ever. What do you think? Should I include a quote or not please?
Arkasia
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You can include a quotation but make sure it is relevant, and it doesn't take up too many characters. Also, don't pick a cliched one because that is just a waste of time and space.
ElementaryMyDear
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Most universities/teachers/advisors etc. I have spoken to have recommended not including quotes because they want to hear what you have to say, not somebody else. If you feel that you can make it relevant and not just something added on for the sake of it then include one, but otherwise I wouldn't recommend using a quote. I don't think not using a quote would impede your chances of getting an offer, so it's probably best just talk about an artist who has inspired you instead.
upendatom
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Also try to engage with the quotation, rather than just slapping it in there. Generally I've been advised not to use one, and it was discouraged by admissions at Oxford and Cambridge when I went them on summers schools - but different unis have different opinions I guess

Posted from TSR Mobile
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Quotes are almost exclusively detrimental to the quality of a personal statement when they are not being used to support a point. This said, quoting Bakhtin in an English literature statement is going to be fine far more often than quoting Eleanor Roosevelt. Hobsbawm quotes are likely to find a better home in your history statement than some semi-witty quote about hard work.

I wouldn't use them as they are never necessary and most people who do use them do so horribly.

Make your own decision.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.8%
No - but I will (102)
7.68%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (633)
47.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise