The Student Room Group

I just don't know what to do anymore

A month and a half ago, I started University doing a Maths degree as maths was the only subject I liked at A Level and I considered myself decent at it, but it appeared to be too much for me to handle. I just can't cope with the workload, the course is now just so uninteresting that I can't help but fall asleep in the small amount of lectures I do attend.
I keep telling myself to toughen up and just do it, it'll be over soon. That's my attitude to everything I've ever been forced to do that I didn't like, but I just can't! I feel so depressed, I can't work like this... I absolutely hate the course, every single module, everything.
So I told my parents that I don't like the course, but they won't have any of it. They won't let me quit! I actually thought they would support me and want me to be happy, but it's quite the opposite.
I don't know what to do anymore!
Original post by Anonymous
A month and a half ago, I started University doing a Maths degree as maths was the only subject I liked at A Level and I considered myself decent at it, but it appeared to be too much for me to handle. I just can't cope with the workload, the course is now just so uninteresting that I can't help but fall asleep in the small amount of lectures I do attend.
I keep telling myself to toughen up and just do it, it'll be over soon. That's my attitude to everything I've ever been forced to do that I didn't like, but I just can't! I feel so depressed, I can't work like this... I absolutely hate the course, every single module, everything.
So I told my parents that I don't like the course, but they won't have any of it. They won't let me quit! I actually thought they would support me and want me to be happy, but it's quite the opposite.
I don't know what to do anymore!

You might just need to rekindle your interest, as opposed to thinking of it like work, think of it like something that is totally optional. Also, try relating it to stuff you do outside of uni (by reading about it etc), might work out really well for you! I also hated maths for a good part of my life, but thinking about it as though it's optional makes it a LOT more interesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest