Any help would be appreciated! Watch

eden.whitcomb
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello to who ever clicks on this post!

I am torn between going to uni and well... not...

I have a passion and drive to film and television production which has been with be for as long as I can remember...

My biggest put off for Uni is coming out the other side and being in the same position I am currently in now as I write this post... lost and not pleasing myself in terms of my desired career....

Anyone else fill/felt this way?

Thank you

Eden
Hunkybm
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi,

I can sympathise with you as I have a friend who's in the same position.

Going to uni is a big decision to make because of all the loans etc. so if you don't want to go and you have another way of reaching your desired job, it's something worth thinking about it. However, another friend is also crazy about film/media and has decided to do a related degree.

Honestly it's all down to how you feel, just make a decision that you won't regret in the future!

Hope this helped!
eden.whitcomb
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hunkybm)
Hi,

I can sympathise with you as I have a friend who's in the same position.

Going to uni is a big decision to make because of all the loans etc. so if you don't want to go and you have another way of reaching your desired job, it's something worth thinking about it. However, another friend is also crazy about film/media and has decided to do a related degree.

Honestly it's all down to how you feel, just make a decision that you won't regret in the future!

Hope this helped!

The money does not phase me as loans etc. will always be a part of life and something that will catch up with me sooner rather than later

It's more the commitment I need to make to something I love that may someday never become what I want it too...

Are you at Uni?
Hunkybm
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by eden.whitcomb)
The money does not phase me as loans etc. will always be a part of life and something that will catch up with me sooner rather than later

It's more the commitment I need to make to something I love that may someday never become what I want it too...

Are you at Uni?
Nope, probably in the same academic year as you as I have applied this year.

Ah makes sense, I'm doing a degree (maths) because I love the subject but have no idea at all what I want to do career wise!
TV man
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi Eden, you pose a very good question.

In terms of coming out the other side of a degree in the same position as you are now - yes, there is a chance that could happen. And it will happen if all you do is study for your degree (a media related one or a more traditionally academic route) and nothing else. The key to getting work in Film or TV is experience - if you have it you stand a chance of breaking through, whether you do a degree or not. If you don't have it, you won't even get off first base.

The reason is that when an employer in TV looks at your CV their eye is drawn almost exclusively to what you put under the work experience section - if you can get that experience in proper professional production set ups then a degree can be pretty much irrelevant. Employers in TV are not interested very much in what you learned at University.

I think I will type that again as it is a popular misconception amongst those who want to work in the TV industry: Employers in TV are not interested very much in what you learn at University. They also are not terribly interested in what grade you got.

On that basis not having a degree may not set you back much further than someone who has one. Except...

A degree is definitely worth having for other reasons. Most other people who apply for work in TV will have a degree. Studying for a degree is a good thing in itself in terms of how you develop and for broadening your intellect and outlook. And finally, if for whatever reason you do not break into either the film or TV industry (or you ever want to leave it), then a degree is really useful to have as it gives you many more opportunities.

And what kind of degree? My strong recommendation is that you do the most academically stretching subject you can do and enjoy. That may be a media related degree, but even better would be something more traditional. Not having a media degree will not hold you back if you want to work in TV as you will not learn anything during that degree which is particularly valuable or valued by employers, and a degree in a traditional subject is often thought of more favourably by employers across the board.

Hope that helps!
eden.whitcomb
Rep:
?
(Original post by TV man)
Hi Eden, you pose a very good question.

In terms of coming out the other side of a degree in the same position as you are now - yes, there is a chance that could happen. And it will happen if all you do is study for your degree (a media related one or a more traditionally academic route) and nothing else. The key to getting work in Film or TV is experience - if you have it you stand a chance of breaking through, whether you do a degree or not. If you don't have it, you won't even get off first base.

The reason is that when an employer in TV looks at your CV their eye is drawn almost exclusively to what you put under the work experience section - if you can get that experience in proper professional production set ups then a degree can be pretty much irrelevant. Employers in TV are not interested very much in what you learned at University.

I think I will type that again as it is a popular misconception amongst those who want to work in the TV industry: Employers in TV are not interested very much in what you learn at University. They also are not terribly interested in what grade you got.

On that basis not having a degree may not set you back much further than someone who has one. Except...

A degree is definitely worth having for other reasons. Most other people who apply for work in TV will have a degree. Studying for a degree is a good thing in itself in terms of how you develop and for broadening your intellect and outlook. And finally, if for whatever reason you do not break into either the film or TV industry (or you ever want to leave it), then a degree is really useful to have as it gives you many more opportunities.

And what kind of degree? My strong recommendation is that you do the most academically stretching subject you can do and enjoy. That may be a media related degree, but even better would be something more traditional. Not having a media degree will not hold you back if you want to work in TV as you will not learn anything during that degree which is particularly valuable or valued by employers, and a degree in a traditional subject is often thought of more favourably by employers across the board.

Hope that helps!
I am looking to study a specific course not Media as a whole and would therefore be Film and Television Production...

Curious what your situation is at the moment... currently at uni? left? didn't decide to go?

Eden
TV man
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Went to Uni 35 years ago. Been working in TV production for the last 30 years.

When I said "a media degree" I meant anything that falls into that category, including Film and Television Production...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (83)
39.15%
No - but I will (10)
4.72%
No - I don't want to (14)
6.6%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (105)
49.53%

Watched Threads