Maintenance Fees- help? Watch

imyourlionheart
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi all,

I'm an Italian student (living in Italy) and I'm hoping to go to Edinburgh University in 2016 (I know it's a while away, but in Italy you're supposed to pick your unis before the start of the last year of HIgh School) . The reason behind this is that any EU student studying in Scotland doesn't have to pay tuition fees.
However, I have a bit of a problem regarding the accommodation and maintenance costs. Since I am from outside the UK, I'm not entitled to any loan, so I'd have to pay it all myself.

I still have a year and a half to go, if I start working now and save up the money, is there a chance I can pay at least a few months' woth of rent/uni accomodation fees, then get a job there?
Or am I being too irrealistic about the chances of finding any kind of work that could contribute?
My family earns very little as it is, so asking them for financial support isn't possible.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance.
nearlyheadlessian
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by imyourlionheart)
Hi all,

I'm an Italian student (living in Italy) and I'm hoping to go to Edinburgh University in 2016 (I know it's a while away, but in Italy you're supposed to pick your unis before the start of the last year of HIgh School) . The reason behind this is that any EU student studying in Scotland doesn't have to pay tuition fees.
However, I have a bit of a problem regarding the accommodation and maintenance costs. Since I am from outside the UK, I'm not entitled to any loan, so I'd have to pay it all myself.

I still have a year and a half to go, if I start working now and save up the money, is there a chance I can pay at least a few months' woth of rent/uni accomodation fees, then get a job there?
Or am I being too irrealistic about the chances of finding any kind of work that could contribute?
My family earns very little as it is, so asking them for financial support isn't possible.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance.
As an approximate rule of thumb, I would want to have ~£500 per month to stay afloat, if being frugal. That would require you do around 18-20 hours of paid work weekly at the minimum wage. While this is at the top end of what the university recommends (they think more than that is detrimental to your studies - and speaking from experience, it is), it isn't unfeasible. But this assumes you find somewhere cheap to live (and forget about going back to Italy for the holidays - how will you hang on to your job?) and that you have a pretty grey existence.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (515)
37.56%
No - but I will (107)
7.8%
No - I don't want to (93)
6.78%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (656)
47.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise