seon16
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi guys. next year I'll be doing the IB program and as of now my subjects are:
HL- physics, chemistry, economics
SL-maths, english lit, french

I want to do chemical or aeronautical engineering. I feel like I have to do Maths HL and I'm quite capable of doing maths but I'm afraid of doing PCM as I heard people struggle a lot with PCM. Do universities accept SL for engineering too or do they only accept SL?? If so, what is your recommendation???
thanks guys

PS( I wrote the IGCSE international Mathematics 0607)
Swtmess
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by seon16)

I want to do chemical or aeronautical engineering. I feel like I have to do Maths HL and I'm quite capable of doing maths but I'm afraid of doing PCM as I heard people struggle a lot with PCM. Do universities accept SL for engineering too or do they only accept SL?? If so, what is your recommendation???
thanks guys

I've done the IGCSE and achieved a B a mark or two away from an A and im currently doing IB.
Chemical engineering in the best universities does require a HL maths but im not sure about SL. However, keep in mind that it is challenging if you do not practice 24/7.
pbunny
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

thanks guys

It honestly depends on which country you want to go to university in. I know for a fact that Canada and America don't require HL maths for engineering. However, if intend on applying to British universities then HL maths is a must.
laraalmahbshi
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey friend, I'm currently doing the IB and we are looking at the requirements needed. i go to a British school and for engineering (any type) almost all require HL. HOWEVER, a week ago 12 canadian universities came to my school and for engineering (any type) they do NOT accept maths studies so yeah. My advice is take HL if you can do it and always remember that it is all about practice.
irritatinglis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

thanks guys

Uni are absolutely cool with SL Maths on anything that isn't Physics, Maths or Aeronautical Engineering, this is where I'm stuck. If you do HL, unless you're a mathematical genius, you'll be living, breathing and dreaming maths. It's possible but it need a hell of a lot. If you're interested in both maybe start at higher and if it gets too tough move to standard and see if you can still get into units with SL for Aeronautics otherwise just settle for Chem.
IBMum
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You might be interested in this article that outlines how much harder IB higher maths is to A level maths.

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/Document...esentation.pdf
http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/Document...TMAT-Paper.pdf

It states that a 5 in Maths HL is equivilent to an A at A level yet the universities typically require a 6 or even 7 for aeronautical engineering. My son does aeronautical engineering at uni. He did Maths HL and A level maths. He got a 4 at HL and an A at A level
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (302)
37.52%
No - but I will (61)
7.58%
No - I don't want to (60)
7.45%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (382)
47.45%

Watched Threads