I just dont feel.. right. Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
First of all I apologise in advance if I offend anyone as I know peopld have serious, real issues and I might be being really childish but I just need to get it off my chest.

Over the last year and a half ive felt depressed, not upset but to the point where I dont want to talk, eat and something that is arising more each day, being here. I just feel like im irrelevant to everyone.. Im not a lonely guy, I have quite a few close friends, a girlfriend who I love to bits and I have a healthy relationship with my family but the problem is that I just feel like I am a failure to all, I have no idea what I want to do with my future, im studying A-Levels which I dont enjoy and want nothing to do with in the future but I was too scared to leave school because I dont know what else to do.. How am I going to be able to pay for a house, start a family etc in the future when all I am is a nervous, undecided idiot.

I havent been diagnosed with depression but I also havent been to check as I dont want family thinking less of me, I just think it would be easier to not be here but I know I wouldnt have the courage to put thoughts into action.

Im sorry once again as I know people have reasons for their problems and I know mines are silly. I just needed to tell someone.
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You do need to get a diagnosis if you have been feeling like this for a while now. The girlfriend you love to bits? I'm sure she'll understand, girls go through depressive periods more often than boys (and it's somehow "more acceptable" for them to admit it and "less acceptable" for boys to - stigma innit )
Anonymous #2
Report 4 years ago
I wouldn't recommend getting diagnosed, it made things even worse for me
Anonymous #1
But what if im not depressed and its all in my head? Maybe finding out could do me a world of good
Anonymous #1
(Original post by shawn_o1)
You do need to get a diagnosis if you have been feeling like this for a while now. The girlfriend you love to bits? I'm sure she'll understand, girls go through depressive periods more often than boys (and it's somehow "more acceptable" for them to admit it and "less acceptable" for boys to - stigma innit )
Yeah the thing is, ive been with her a couple of months now but known her a lot longer; she is depressed and on medication etc.. I dont want her thinking that its her fault
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Try observing your girlfriend's speech and recognise the things you might be saying as well. If you be the one to empathise you might also find yourself feeling better in time
gen88
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It doesn't really matter about having a label on it or not- if you're feeling crap, you're feeling crap. You need to talk it out. I would go to your girlfriend first. Or who are you closest to in your family? I'm sure they truly love you and they shouldn't judge anyway- clinical depression (if it is) is not a sign of weakness.
Oh and I bet you anything more than 90% of your mates have had the same kind of thoughts- I know I have. People put so much pressure on people at age 17 to 18 to decide the rest of their future- who the hell knows anyway? It's way too young! And most people changing careers a few times down the line.
If you feel like you wanna go to the doctor go, but I reckon once you chat to at least 1 person about it you should feel at least a bit better.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.74%
No - but I will (102)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (635)
47.74%

Watched Threads