Is it too late to leave school? Watch

GageMcAlister
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi everyone, at the minute at school, (having began Maths, Computing, Art and Moving Image Arts A-levels in September) I am finding it extremely stressful. The work load is so large and even though I expected this, I cannot handle it. It feels like I am just drowning in a sea of work at the minute.
I have no motivation to do the work either and my creativity for art has hit an all time low. I just feel like I can't do the work.

In a recent exam style thing, I got the following grades in my subjects:

Maths: E
Art: A
Moving Image Arts: A
Computing: G

I just really can't cope. Is there any way I can leave school and join an Art college or something?
seveneleven
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You're asking for permission to quit on thestudentroom?
1.Its the beginning of the year.
2.Be happy that you have two A grades.
3. You think the workload is too much because you're not organised. There are people out there doing 5 or even 6 AS levels.
4.Figure out a routine and make a timetable. AS is meant to be the easy stuff. Keep on top of work and you'll get good grades.
HeskeyLAD
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by GageMcAlister)
Hi everyone, at the minute at school, (having began Maths, Computing, Art and Moving Image Arts A-levels in September) I am finding it extremely stressful. The work load is so large and even though I expected this, I cannot handle it. It feels like I am just drowning in a sea of work at the minute.
I have no motivation to do the work either and my creativity for art has hit an all time low. I just feel like I can't do the work.

In a recent exam style thing, I got the following grades in my subjects:

Maths: E
Art: A
Moving Image Arts: A
Computing: G

I just really can't cope. Is there any way I can leave school and join an Art college or something?
Tbh I got a U in my first Physics chapter test but I'm carrying on with it for now. More than half the class did, because the jump in sciences are especially big compared to other subjects. Most people feel the jump, contrary to the minority of the student population TSR represents.

I'm working at a D in Maths, grade boundaries shoot up in everything as far as I know. I really genuinely want to leave school as well, but I know these A-level qualifications are more of a real deal compared to GCSEs and will give me a better foundation to work with when I need to enter the employment field to just stand on my own feet - and it's not long either.

My passion lies in music production (I spend time on it outside of school, free time really), but I'm not gonna risk it just in case I become unsuccessful if I were to follow that path. I think this could be similarly said for your strong subject, Art.

I'm sticking with A-levels for now, I personally think you should do the same, unless your some art prodigy or something. Substance is important imo. A-levels are a lot more respectable than say, GCSEs.
futbol
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes they will physically restrain you if you try to leave...
HeskeyLAD
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by seveneleven)
AS is meant to be the easy stuff.
Disagree with this. Not everyone copes with the jump from GCSE to AS smoothly. Obviously A2 is a different story, but I find that statement to be detrimental rather than motivational. No need for that.
seveneleven
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by HeskeyLAD)
Disagree with this. Not everyone copes with the jump from GCSE to AS smoothly. Obviously A2 is a different story, but I find that statement to be detrimental rather than motivational. No need for that.
But its true. If you look at AS and A2. AS, especially the beginning, is the easy stuff. We're not here to tell lies. I'm just stating the facts. I understand that not everyone copes with the jump smoothly. That's why i told him to keep on top of work and he'll get a good grade.
GageMcAlister
Rep:
?
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear; Would it be possible to leave the school and join an Art college? Also, thanks for the replies people
GageMcAlister
Rep:
?
(Original post by HeskeyLAD)
Tbh I got a U in my first Physics chapter test but I'm carrying on with it for now. More than half the class did, because the jump in sciences are especially big compared to other subjects. Most people feel the jump, contrary to the minority of the student population TSR represents.

I'm working at a D in Maths, grade boundaries shoot up in everything as far as I know. I really genuinely want to leave school as well, but I know these A-level qualifications are more of a real deal compared to GCSEs and will give me a better foundation to work with when I need to enter the employment field to just stand on my own feet - and it's not long either.

My passion lies in music production (I spend time on it outside of school, free time really), but I'm not gonna risk it just in case I become unsuccessful if I were to follow that path. I think this could be similarly said for your strong subject, Art.

I'm sticking with A-levels for now, I personally think you should do the same, unless your some art prodigy or something. Substance is important imo. A-levels are a lot more respectable than say, GCSEs.
This is a fantastic and very helpful reply, thank you very much!
HeskeyLAD
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by seveneleven)
But its true. If you look at AS and A2. AS, especially the beginning, is the easy stuff. We're not here to tell lies. I'm just stating the facts. I understand that not everyone copes with the jump smoothly. That's why i told him to keep on top of work and he'll get a good grade.
No it's not. Explain why 9 people (out of 14) in my Physics class got a U in our first 'exam-styled' test (bearing in mind most of the students in our class got 6A*s or more) back in September? Our Physics A-level results from last year were also above average.

If anything, my second month was a lot of easier than my first.

Maybe you're suggesting that it is easier, which I agree if in this sense, but it's a bit more difficult for most because they need to get used to organising themselves through this year and especially the next?
loperdoper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Exam performance in the beginning of AS is nothing to go by - not everybody settles into AS instantly, so you may have low grades.

Are there any art colleges near you to go to? If so, you could ask them for advice for moving to them.

Otherwise, speak to your head of year about your concerns.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Guardian Offices, Kings Cross, London Postgraduate
    Mon, 2 Sep '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (221)
12.46%
Excited (166)
9.36%
Worried (309)
17.43%
Terrified (390)
22%
Meh (186)
10.49%
Confused (39)
2.2%