Should Domestic Fireworks Be Banned? Watch

Poll: Should domestic fireworks be banned?
Yes (3)
16.67%
No (15)
83.33%
MiniMacaroon
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
As I sit here in my room, I can hear fireworks banging all around me. We have the same debate every year at home- should domestic fireworks be banned and should the only fireworks be organised displays?
I think they should be. My old dog (who admittedly was "special") hated them- he ripped his way through 2 sofas, cables, took radiators off walls, destroyed the fridge because he tried to get behind it, the list goes on. We often have to go around the garden picking up the mess from neighbours, too. I'm not totally against fireworks- I'm going to a local display on Wednesday, but fireworks are just a nuisance at home, and dangerous!
thunder_chunky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No.
Viva Emptiness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Absolutely not.

The peasants on this forum are hell bent on banning anything that's even remotely fun.
EloiseStar
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No. They're only dangerous when not used correctly. Yeah they can be loud and pets can be scared but vets often give out advice to help your pets feel safe and following this I have never had a problem.
yo radical one
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not really our fault if you can't control your dog
syrettd
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No. I think maybe they should be better controlled, only allowed on certain days instead of having a week or so of November 5th celebrations, but I don't think they should be banned. I have two dogs and I know how terrible it can get. But what about people with pets who live near places where public displays happen? If your argument for banning domestic displays is because of the reaction of pets, or because the noise if a nuisance to some, it should be an all or nothing ban on fireworks.

And fireworks aren't dangerous if used correctly, and this is coming from someone who nearly got hit by a fallen over firework on two separate occasions- both times because we hadn't made sure the firework was correctly in the ground.
Ggmu!
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Idc about your dog.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
When we launched a firework and it got stuck in the garden tree... that was pretty exciting!
darzenalblex
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I agree, there shouldn't be loud stuff like that in residential areas.
syrettd
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
When we launched a firework and it got stuck in the garden tree... that was pretty exciting!
I nearly set fire to a neighbour's tree with a paper sky lantern. Lesson learned- if a paper lantern has a hole in it, sellotaping it up will not completely solve the problem.
KingBradly
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Viva Emptiness)
Absolutely not.

The peasants on this forum are hell bent on banning anything that's even remotely fun.
Not just the peasants on this forum unfortunately. But this forum does seemed to be particularly filled with sexless, sheltered squares.

In reply to the OP, if fireworks get banned in this country, I'm moving to America. I would also like to add that Diwali, the Hindu, Sikh and Jain festival of light, happened recently and there were fireworks going off everywhere. It sounded like being in the middle of war zone, and it looked awesome to see fireworks filling the skies in all directions. It was excellent, only boring ***ts would disagree.

To anyone who replies with the predictable "oh well I guess I'm a boring ***t then": yes... yes you are.
Mackay
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No. If they are treated properly and handled with care, they bring enjoyment.
limetang
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There is absolutely no point in being safe all the time. Life is too short for that.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No, they are just a bit of fun that tends to be harmless.
StacFace
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't buy fireworks, they go off near me until late even well outside of bonfire week (the house opposite next door celebrates birthdays with them) and my normally outdoor cat hates them so much he's made a gap in the back of the sofa to hide inside it. However I disagree completely with the idea of banning them because I'm not the sort of spoilsport who feels the need to stop other people from having fun.

I've seen a few comments, mainly from people I went to school with, on Facebook complaining about them. Things like 'it's 10pm ffs' (on Friday, remember when you used to be pre-drinking at that time?) and 'bonfire night isn't til Wednesday!' (forgotten about when you worked at a pub and only got Monday nights off?) and in all honesty it just comes across as these people now having such boring lives that they resent anyone who seems to be having fun.

Everyone knows that Bonfire Night is a thing and that fireworks will be let off roughly from the weekend before to the weekend after. If you don't want to join the celebrations fine but don't ruin them for everyone else. Be prepared for it and if a neighbour does actually go too far (eg setting them off early hours of the morning or continuing with them regularly outside of bonfire week) then make a noise complaint in the same way you would if they were throwing house parties every night.
Coffinman
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
They should go back to selling the old style fireworks instead of the rubbish Standard kind we have today.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (124)
39.37%
No - but I will (17)
5.4%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.35%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (154)
48.89%

Watched Threads