Where to go for financial help? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello Jo

I need advice.

I am a full-time student at university. I came to university in order to escape abuse at home. I am enjoying my time at university but when I graduate I don't want to go back home. I don't want to go back to living in a household of abuse, but I worry: will I be able to afford to find somewhere else to live?

I'd love to be able to get a job and save money but I know I would struggle to stay on top of my studies, plus I doubt I would be able to save up enough.

I also the basic loan so I don't even get enough money to cover my student accommodation, let alone saving up money for a place to live after graduation.

I am thinking of using my overdraft to pay for a place to live when the time comes, or taking out a loan from the bank, or a loan from a credit union, but I don't feel as though that is a good idea. I don't want to be in even more debt.

I'd like to know: are there any organisations that can help me?

I definitely don't want to go back to abusive household. It's something that worries me constantly. I came to university to escape that life and I don't want to go back to it. People always say that if you are in an abusive relationship/home then you should leave. I left so why should I have to go back? I also want to cut my parents out of my life.

So where do I go for financial help?

Please help.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
By the way, I asked this in another forum, that's why it's says "Hello Jo." However I would like to hear other people's advice too, so this question is welcome to all (nice) responses.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you can prove estrangement from your family, are 25 or over or have been working for at least 3 years, you may be able to apply as an independent student to student finance and get full loan and grant.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (44)
37.93%
No - but I will (4)
3.45%
No - I don't want to (5)
4.31%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (63)
54.31%

Watched Threads