Module grades were wrongly weighted... Watch

Silverblue
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
#1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
#1
Hi All,

I've completed my last module a couple of months ago (doing a distance learning top-up degree at a brick uni) and, in my opinion, the grade has been calculated wrongly.

The module handbook stated that three assignment marks are weighted 20%, 20% and 60% and, when I got my final grade, it seems that the first assignment was weighted 20% but the second and third assignment marks were added together and then weighted 80%, i.e. assignment 2 and 3 were carrying the same weight which is clearly not in line with the handbook.

In line with our uni regulations I have contacted my programme leader to make him aware of this and to find out if he can resolve this before officially appealing.
Heard nothing back and chased again after a couple of weeks as we're only able to appeal for 21 days (and I had planned to do this). Was told they'd look into it but heard nothing since.

Unfortunately, I then had to go abroad at very short notice as a close family member died and missed the deadline for an appeal.

Since, I have sent another couple of emails to the programme leader without any response. Also contacted the Student Union - no response either. Tried to call as well - no answer. :mad:

I'm really annoyed about this - it's been six weeks now since my first email and the least I would expect is an update on what's going on.

Apart from letting off steam :unimpressed:

  • Has anyone been in a similar situation and what was done if the grade was calculated wrongly? What's my chance of getting this corrected?
  • What would you do next?
0
reply
MyName??!
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
#2
Report 4 years ago
#2
(Original post by Silverblue)
Hi All,

I've completed my last module a couple of months ago (doing a distance learning top-up degree at a brick uni) and, in my opinion, the grade has been calculated wrongly.

The module handbook stated that three assignment marks are weighted 20%, 20% and 60% and, when I got my final grade, it seems that the first assignment was weighted 20% but the second and third assignment marks were added together and then weighted 80%, i.e. assignment 2 and 3 were carrying the same weight which is clearly not in line with the handbook.

In line with our uni regulations I have contacted my programme leader to make him aware of this and to find out if he can resolve this before officially appealing.
Heard nothing back and chased again after a couple of weeks as we're only able to appeal for 21 days (and I had planned to do this). Was told they'd look into it but heard nothing since.

Unfortunately, I then had to go abroad at very short notice as a close family member died and missed the deadline for an appeal.

Since, I have sent another couple of emails to the programme leader without any response. Also contacted the Student Union - no response either. Tried to call as well - no answer. :mad:

I'm really annoyed about this - it's been six weeks now since my first email and the least I would expect is an update on what's going on.

Apart from letting off steam :unimpressed:

  • Has anyone been in a similar situation and what was done if the grade was calculated wrongly? What's my chance of getting this corrected?
  • What would you do next?
I had a similar situation, with one of my chemistry modules. I informed them that I'd be missing out on one of the in-class tests, which was worth 40%...

When it came to the official results, the module leader didn't take anything into account, so I sent him an email, but I didn't get a response. I'm not a very patient person, so after a couple of calculations to make sure I was right, I went straight to his office. He wasn't pleased at all to be told that he did his calculations wrong, but he corrected it in the end, like after a couple of days later.

I don't know what your chances are, but if it would make a huge difference in the final mark, then I would chase the module leader about it. So the person who marked the test, and gave you the mark. I wouldn't be very happy if I were in your shoes, and I really do hope you get this sorted.
0
reply
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Reply
new posts
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (561)
37.65%
No - but I will (116)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (106)
7.11%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (707)
47.45%

Watched Threads

View All