A level subject choice - A big mistake for uni application?? Watch

Cal-lum
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So I took a lot of time picking my A levels last year and don't get me wrong I am very happy with them, and they are working for me very well, however I'd like someone to shed the light on whether my choice was a massive disadvantage.

I chose English Lit, Politics, Psychology and BTEC Music Performance (2 year qualification). I plan to carry on with them all next year.

It is the BTEC that is my major problem, I chose it as I love to perform and knew it would be an easy Distinction however it is a two year qualification which means when applying to universities I will only have 3 AS grades to show off at that point. As well as this, I know there is some stigma attached to BTECs. Will this put me at a disadvantage during the admissions process, would someone with 4AS's and the 3ALevels's be more preferred than 3 A levels and a BTEC?

If it is any use, I'm looking to study social anthropology and need between AAA-ABB (which should be fine for me, its just the BTEC I'm worried about, I don't want to be put at a disadvantage in my application)

Any help from anyone with more experience than me when it comes to applications/subject choices etc. would be much appreciated... and no BTEC hate, stereotypes are silly..

Thanks in advance
indigobluesss
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't think it should be a problem, a lot of people will apply with only 3Alevels, besides, the unis will know that you've embarked on your BTEC course.

Fyi my colleague in my course applied with a BTEC and he's here :3
Cal-lum
Rep:
?
(Original post by R Dragon)
I don't think it should be a problem, a lot of people will apply with only 3Alevels, besides, the unis will know that you've embarked on your BTEC course.

Fyi my colleague in my course applied with a BTEC and he's here :3
Thank you very much
loperdoper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
BTECs are often not that much of a disadvantage if you have taken them in conjunction with A-levels. As you're taking 3 A-levels plus a BTEC, you've technically got 4 A-levels, putting you in a very strong position.
lauzjw
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Some unis do specify that you need 4 AS Levels, but I don't think that should be a problem for the course you want to do. Check out a few unis and see whether or not they need 4 AS levels
Cal-lum
Rep:
?
(Original post by loperdoper)
BTECs are often not that much of a disadvantage if you have taken them in conjunction with A-levels. As you're taking 3 A-levels plus a BTEC, you've technically got 4 A-levels, putting you in a very strong position.
Thanks so much! Never thought I'd come out in a positive position!!
Cal-lum
Rep:
?
(Original post by lauzjw)
Some unis do specify that you need 4 AS Levels, but I don't think that should be a problem for the course you want to do. Check out a few unis and see whether or not they need 4 AS levels
I'm reasonably sure my courses don't specify a 4th AS is needed so I should be okay Thank you very much.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (212)
39.41%
No - but I will (38)
7.06%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.69%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (252)
46.84%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed