This discussion is closed.
Maisy
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
What do I get when Aluminum chloride acs as a lewis acid in the reaction with concenterated HCl?
Katie J
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Maisy)
What do I get when Aluminum chloride acs as a lewis acid in the reaction with concenterated HCl?
AlCl3, have a vague memory of doing this recently...thinking maybe Friedal Crafts? Cl+ ions formed? Not sure...if I work something out I'll get back to you!

EDIT: I think I'm totally wrong with the above because (worryingly!) I don't have the foggiest idea what a lewis acid is! Must start revising soon....this is really not good!! Sorry I can't help at the moment, but I will look into it!
Ben.S.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Katie J)
AlCl3, have a vague memory of doing this recently...thinking maybe Friedal Crafts? Cl+ ions formed? Not sure...if I work something out I'll get back to you!

EDIT: I think I'm totally wrong with the above because (worryingly!) I don't have the foggiest idea what a lewis acid is! Must start revising soon....this is really not good!! Sorry I can't help at the moment, but I will look into it!
A lewis acid will accept a lone pair of electrons. Aluminium is electron deficient in the trichloride, and will (I hope) form the species AlCl4(-) in HCl, acting as a lewis acid and forming a coordinate bond with the chloride.

Ben
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your firm and insurance uni choices yet?

Yes (115)
55.02%
Yes, but I want to swap them (16)
7.66%
No, but I know who I want to choose (19)
9.09%
No, I still don't know who I want to choose (50)
23.92%
I have decided I don't want to go to uni anymore and will not be choosing (9)
4.31%

Watched Threads