Private or State Sixth Form? MGS vs Loreto Watch

Wolf11
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
It's nearly time to fill out my sixth form applications and I'm not sure whether to go to the independant Manchester Grammar School or Loreto College.

The only way that I could get into MGS is through a bursary that they offer. I could get it in the first year for sure but not sure about the second year. Both colleges are good in rankings but I haven't visited the MGS open day yet.

I want to get into Cambridge for Maths and I know that MGS do STEP exam lessons and other helpful classes. SHOULD I BOTHER?
1998RF
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Whichever feels better - there is no point going to a school you are not happy with. I go state and it is the best in the county, esp. for added value, my neighbour went there and got into Cambridge. Good luck
lmatishi123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m having the exact same problem. I’m not sure whether to go to Loreto or MGS. I’ve gotten a conditional offer from Loreto and I haven’t even applied to MGS and I’m really confused. Could you please share which one you decided to go to and was it worth it?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Tamimur
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
MGS does have good reputation as a private sixth form but so does Loreto. I've decided to attend Loreto and have heard they do High achievers and oxbridge courses so I guess its down to preference in the end.
Tamimur
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Surprised that you are able to give in applications now, I was pressured to get them in before Christmas and got my offers etc by January.
lmatishi123
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I had to do them at Christmas too but for MGS the deadlines in April so I have time. How is Loreto anyway?
driedmangoxx
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi I'm a pupil at Loreto and found that actually students who I had attended high school with who had gone to MGS or Sale Grammer Sixth Form hadn't got into Oxbridge whereas those who went to Loreto did. In fact I think all of those who applied to do history at Oxbridge got in this year, think there was about 8 from Loreto. Obviously it's completely down to more than just the grades, but Loreto do provide a high achievers form group and sepearate assembly for those who did well in their GCSEs. The Oxbridge co-ordinators at Loreto are excellent and whilst I don't doubt they are at MGS, I think instead you should just consider which college you prefer rather than it's reputation for getting students into Oxbridge. Loreto will facilitate you completely if you want to apply for Oxbridge as they want students getting in just as much as you probably want to.
lmatishi123
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for the reply, it means a lot.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (125)
39.56%
No - but I will (17)
5.38%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.33%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (154)
48.73%

Watched Threads