Dropping out of uni Watch

MollyLovedayM
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I've been at uni since september 19th and the more time I'm here and the more work I have in my course the more I'm questioning whether I've made the right decision.
I've made loads of friends and am enjoying uni life but it was always a last minute decision to come to uni that I wasn't 100% sure about and I just feel like this is the wrong time for me to be at uni, I'm not enjoying studying or my course despite being really interested in it and I have absolutely no motivation. It's making me really miserable and I just don't see myself getting through the next 3 years.
My current plan is to stick it out till christmas and then drop out if I'm still feeling the same way.

I just wanted peoples opinions on whether they think I'll have given myself enough time to make and informed decision and just some general views on dropping out and taking a gap year or two before maybe looking into coming back?

I've been finding it really difficult and getting into a state about it so any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
somemightsay888
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Christmas is too long to stick it out till. Make a decision before the end of the month. It sounds like you just rushed into Uni as it was the only option in your head. If you aren't motivated in your course then it doesn't bode well. Stick it out till the end of the month and if you don't like it take a gap year. I would start planning and having a look at how to use your gap year now though, just to make sure you don't waste time doing nothing after or if you drop out.
AimeeGleek123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Have you talked to your friends or maybe teachers or parents? To let them know your not enjoying the course.
McMicheal
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MollyLovedayM)
I've been at uni since september 19th and the more time I'm here and the more work I have in my course the more I'm questioning whether I've made the right decision.
I've made loads of friends and am enjoying uni life but it was always a last minute decision to come to uni that I wasn't 100% sure about and I just feel like this is the wrong time for me to be at uni, I'm not enjoying studying or my course despite being really interested in it and I have absolutely no motivation. It's making me really miserable and I just don't see myself getting through the next 3 years.
My current plan is to stick it out till christmas and then drop out if I'm still feeling the same way.

I just wanted peoples opinions on whether they think I'll have given myself enough time to make and informed decision and just some general views on dropping out and taking a gap year or two before maybe looking into coming back?

I've been finding it really difficult and getting into a state about it so any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
What's the plan after you drop out?

What you seem to say is that, you don't like to study & have no motivation. Everything else is fine.

To that I would say, do not expect some "motivation fairy" to visit you, a lot of people aren't exactly bursting from excitement when it comes to studies or work, but it's something you have to go through & do. Nothing is particularly hard if divided into small enough task and planned out.

If you have some other plans that actually motivate you instead of finishing this course, then I'd consider thinking about it, write down pros & cons of these decision to work out what's best for you.

Otherwise just pull your **** together, go to "how to study effectively workshops" or talk with your tutor.

I wouldn't recommend taking a gap year or two, if you are still interested in the subject of this course you're doing and it's all just about actually studying and motivation.
MollyLovedayM
Rep:
?
(Original post by AimeeGleek123)
Have you talked to your friends or maybe teachers or parents? To let them know your not enjoying the course.
I've spoken to friends at uni, especially friends in their second year and they're saying the same as me, just give it time but according to them I'm clearly unhappier than most people at this stage (I know it's up and down for everyone). But haven't spoken to my tutors.
MollyLovedayM
Rep:
?
(Original post by McMicheal)
What's the plan after you drop out?

What you seem to say is that, you don't like to study & have no motivation. Everything else is fine.

To that I would say, do not expect some "motivation fairy" to visit you, a lot of people aren't exactly bursting from excitement when it comes to studies or work, but it's something you have to go through & do. Nothing is particularly hard if divided into small enough task and planned out.

If you have some other plans that actually motivate you instead of finishing this course, then I'd consider thinking about it, write down pros & cons of these decision to work out what's best for you.

Otherwise just pull your **** together, go to "how to study effectively workshops" or talk with your tutor.

I wouldn't recommend taking a gap year or two, if you are still interested in the subject of this course you're doing and it's all just about actually studying and motivation.
It's not just motivation, I'm not enjoying university at all, I feel like this isn't the right path for me at the minute and other things I'd looked into before uni is more where I want to be and what I want to be doing. I'm questioning my whole decision of coming to uni and thinking this isn't what I want at the minute, it's making me really unhappy and as someone who's had issues with depression in the past I don't want to let myself carry on feeling this unhappy on a day to day basis and end up like that again.

I had been planning on traveling and doing an internship in the Philippines (I have family there I would have stayed with) and a friend is doing the same, if I left at Christmas I would still have time to work, save up and do that, I'm also self employed so whilst I was looking for a job back home I could still be starting to earn again for the internship.
langlitz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MollyLovedayM)

You say you are interested in the course but have no motivation? Sounds like you need to get your ****ing head in the game and pull your finger out. What were you expecting? To just go to lectures and absorb the information through osmosis?
Nitrogen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do people not realise that uni was going to be hard work?
MollyLovedayM
Rep:
?
Well thanks for the help guys, A* for totally misunderstanding what I was saying and being completely useless.

Just in case anyone did get it or is in a similar situation I decided to carry on and complete this year then defer the next and have a year out doing standard gap year things so I can rethink my course and general direction in life whilst just taking some time out from education, then the year after I can go back to uni, and as I've done a foundation year I can carry on on a different course if I like.
I didn't think it was worth dropping out after moving to the other end of the country and all the general prep for uni and all that but really do think I need to rethink what I'm doing and why, so I figure this was I can have some breathing space without feeling like I've ruined an opportunity.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (477)
38.19%
No - but I will (95)
7.61%
No - I don't want to (87)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (590)
47.24%

Watched Threads