Doing AS level maths privately Watch

Landsquid
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi ,
I'm 17 years old and messed up my A levels last year ... I'm now doing a diploma/ btec in engineering and technology 3 days a week 7 hours a day which I enjoy
the only part of the course which is lacking is the maths ... I previously had lessons in as level maths and want to do it again on my own .... I want to get either an A or a B ..... I currently have 7 months until the exam month on June ... I could probably do 20 hours a week of learning maths ( which I know is overkill)
in trying to go with AQA as its the exam board I had last year ? I've applied as a private candidate but the college hasn't got back to me... I got a U last year due to me being a lazy idiot
do you think it's possible to achieve this goal???
how productive/ many hours do you think I'll have to work to achieve this...
do you know any useful sites or study programmes to help ?
Any advice on becoming a private candidate???
how much harder would it be if I had to go with a different exam board???
i can't get into lessons in the main colleges in my area ... Where would I find things like night classes or something along those lines?
Thank you
TeeEm
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Landsquid)
Hi ,
I'm 17 years old and messed up my A levels last year ... I'm now doing a diploma/ btec in engineering and technology 3 days a week 7 hours a day which I enjoy
the only part of the course which is lacking is the maths ... I previously had lessons in as level maths and want to do it again on my own .... I want to get either an A or a B ..... I currently have 7 months until the exam month on June ... I could probably do 20 hours a week of learning maths ( which I know is overkill)
in trying to go with AQA as its the exam board I had last year ? I've applied as a private candidate but the college hasn't got back to me... I got a U last year due to me being a lazy idiot
do you think it's possible to achieve this goal???
how productive/ many hours do you think I'll have to work to achieve this...
do you know any useful sites or study programmes to help ?
Any advice on becoming a private candidate???
how much harder would it be if I had to go with a different exam board???
i can't get into lessons in the main colleges in my area ... Where would I find things like night classes or something along those lines?
Thank you
Your plans are commendable.

Assuming you have at least grade A at GCSE and you are motivated enough from now till the exams (prepared to work 20 hours per week for maths alone) I cannot see why you cannot achieve grade B or A

AQA is easier than other boards but you should be ok also with other boards (Avoid MEI/personal opinion)

For planning/ lessons depends where you live.

For video tutorials use U tube.

For general support and advice use this site.

For past papers/practice papers/worksheets I hope you know how to use google

Use recommended books by the board you will do.

I sincerely wish you good luck
Landsquid
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by TeeEm)
Your plans are commendable.

Assuming you have at least grade A at GCSE and you are motivated enough from now till the exams (prepared to work 20 hours per week for maths alone) I cannot see why you cannot achieve grade B or A

AQA is easier than other boards but you should be ok also with other boards (Avoid MEI/personal opinion)

For planning/ lessons depends where you live.

For video tutorials use U tube.

For general support and advice use this site.

For past papers/practice papers/worksheets I hope you know how to use google

Use recommended books by the board you will do.

I sincerely wish you good luck
Thank you for the advice!! I managed to get into a local college with AQA ! I think I more needed someone to agree with my idea and to say that it was possible ... I'm starting studying today
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (546)
37.73%
No - but I will (113)
7.81%
No - I don't want to (100)
6.91%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (688)
47.55%

Watched Threads