Dropping out of the second year of a BTEC? Watch

jtolliday
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, I am meant to return to college tomorrow after the first half term of the year. I am on the second year of a BTEC in iMedia and there is nothing I like about my college or course anymore and I am struggling to decide what to do, I originally wanted to drop out and work part time (Was able to get a job working part / full time at Mc Donald's earlier this week) and think about what I wanted to study next year (I would only be 18 so could return to college with funding from government). Although it is my second year on the course I barely have any friends and this wouldn't bother as much if I found the work interesting but I don't, I have no motivation to do any of the work as I have 0% interest in it. The most important factor making me want to drop out is the fact it's the main reason I'm not happy anymore, I never look forward to college and when I'm there I can't wait to leave.

In addition to this, I can only think of two benefits of staying which is finishing the course would mean I could go to UNI (I am 100% sure I don't want to attend UNI) and completing it would please family members.

Despite the positives of leaving compared to the negatives I am still scared to drop out? I am in two minds and really stressed out due to this so any advice or anybody's past experience will be greatly appreciated!
GingerFilm
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think the biggest thing you have to think of here is if you really want to pursue media. Dropping out half way through a BTEC will leave you with nothing to show (unlike A level)... Speak to one of your tutors or even a guidance councillor about your options just to settle your mind - you never know, they might have an option you hadn't thought of
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by GingerFilm)
I think the biggest thing you have to think of here is if you really want to pursue media. Dropping out half way through a BTEC will leave you with nothing to show (unlike A level)... Speak to one of your tutors or even a guidance councillor about your options just to settle your mind - you never know, they might have an option you hadn't thought of
You do get a qualification for BTEC first year
First year extended diploma = 90 credit diploma (1.5 a levels)
First year diploma = subsidiary diploma (1 a level)
First year subsidiary diploma = btec certificate (0.5 a levels / 1 AS level)
phi15
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm in your same position im on my first year of btec media but I have no intention of staying for next year as I was planning to go to uni after this year. after year 11 I was in sixthform for one year and then I dropped out for college but college turned out to be worse than sixthform, I never look forward to go to college and when im there I just wanna go home, i see some of my friends in uni and they are having their best time while im still in college although I have to understand that everyone has a different journey and my journey is different like everyone else. I did level 2 business in college I didn't really like it and I didn't pass it but somehow I got into level 3 media, I mean its a decent course but I wouldn't stay for the following year not at all, the uni I wanna go to doesn't use ucas tariff points so I was thinking is it possible to go to uni after one year of level 3?
rcmotorboy
Badges: 11
Report 3 weeks ago
What's the point? You've already finished the first year, why not stay for the second and final year? You may as well. Gives you a good lead for your career over a typical high school student who've completed their GCSEs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (54)
18.31%
Labour (117)
39.66%
Liberal Democrats (61)
20.68%
Green Party (22)
7.46%
Brexit Party (8)
2.71%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (4)
1.36%
Plaid Cymru (5)
1.69%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)