Mobile advice needed please.... Watch

xxvine
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Basically I am on a 24 month contract with three and have just lost my LG G2 phone
As i have 12 months left of my contract I will need to purchase a new phone till use until my next upgrade which is in next November i think.....

Do you think I should buy a cheap phone until then or just purchase an HTC M8 or Galaxy S5 to use?
borysek01
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You can purchase a phone you would really like, and get the contract sim card into it. When your contract is over, sign a new one or whatever you wish you'd enjoy the best.
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by xxvine)
Basically I am on a 24 month contract with three and have just lost my LG G2 phone
As i have 12 months left of my contract I will need to purchase a new phone till use until my next upgrade which is in next November i think.....

Do you think I should buy a cheap phone until then or just purchase an HTC M8 or Galaxy S5 to use?
It's all subjective. Do you have £400+ lying around for a flagship and want a phone that will not slow down under anything? Then going for a top end phone may be worth it to you. Money tight or just want a good quality phone that won't frustrate you while you do day-to-day tasks to tide you over until your upgrade? Then there's little reason to spend more than the ~£150 some flavour of Moto G will run you back.
xxvine
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
It's all subjective. Do you have £400+ lying around for a flagship and want a phone that will not slow down under anything? Then going for a top end phone may be worth it to you. Money tight or just want a good quality phone that won't frustrate you while you do day-to-day tasks to tide you over until your upgrade? Then there's little reason to spend more than the ~£150 some flavour of Moto G will run you back.
Okay so HTC M8 is the best phone out now right?
Tcannon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Depends on your budget. You can use your 3 SIM and buy a
1) a new HTC One M8
2) Buy a cheapo. A friend did it when his iphone was stolen and he hated his cheapo phone.
3) Compromise: Buy a decent phone used. You can get a second hand HTC One M7 for £160 or M8 for £250. I would take this option.
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Okay so HTC M8 is the best phone out now right?
No, not necessarily. Camera's naff, newer phones have more up to date specs and quadHD displays, the Android skinning isn't to everybody's tastes, there are different form factors that you may or may not prefer, just to name a few considerations.
bittr n swt
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
nexus 5
borysek01
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bittr n swt)
nexus 5
I will second this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
xxvine
Rep:
?
(Original post by borysek01)
I will second this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
why?

and the nexus 5 is £250 in argos where i will be buying it from.....i might as well add/save £250 more and get the htc or S5?
xxvine
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
No, not necessarily. Camera's naff, newer phones have more up to date specs and quadHD displays, the Android skinning isn't to everybody's tastes, there are different form factors that you may or may not prefer, just to name a few considerations.
well out of the S5 and htc m8 what would you recommend?
borysek01
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
why?

and the nexus 5 is £250 in argos where i will be buying it from.....i might as well add/save £250 more and get the htc or S5?
If you think that one phone is better than the other because it costs more, then -... well -... I'll let you choose your phone yourself. Your logic is killing me.
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
well out of the S5 and htc m8 what would you recommend?
Core specs are very similar, so neither is going to have much of an advantage in performance. The One M8 is a much better designed phone, I much prefer their Android overlay compared to Samsung, and of has great speakers. Samsung's display is better in my opinion, the camera is way better in most situations, and it has a removable battery. Choose whichever phone has more of those things that matter most to you.
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
why?

The Nexus 5 gets you 90% of what an S5/M8 will get you for 50% of the price, spending double on a "might as well" isn't particularly clear cut. It's your money though, so it's what you deem worth it.
xxvine
Rep:
?
(Original post by borysek01)
If you think that one phone is better than the other because it costs more, then -... well -... I'll let you choose your phone yourself. Your logic is killing me.
thats not what i meant

i just thought the s5 or m8 were better phones...not nesessarily about the cost
xxvine
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
The Nexus 5 gets you 90% of what an S5/M8 will get you for 50% of the price, spending double on a "might as well" isn't particularly clear cut. It's your money though, so it's what you deem worth it.
well nexus 5 is a nono....14 days delivery and can't wait that long without a phone

has to be S5, M8 or even G3
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
well nexus 5 is a nono....14 days delivery and can't wait that long without a phone

has to be S5, M8 or even G3
The G3 would be my choice of the three if you don't mind the size.

thats not what i meant

i just thought the s5 or m8 were better phones...not nesessarily about the cost
They are better phones, but the N5 was a late launch in the previous generation and these phones marked the early onset of the following generation- the differences are pretty incremental and while better it may not be in ways that some people care about, much less to the point that they're willing to pay double for it. The N5 even has its own advantages in being quicker to receive new versions of Android and will probably get supported for longer. But if the wait period for an N5 is too long for you then that's all a bit moot anyway.
xxvine
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)

They are better phones, but the N5 was a late launch in the previous generation and these phones marked the early onset of the following generation- the differences are pretty incremental and while better it may not be in ways that some people care about, much less to the point that they're willing to pay double for it. The N5 even has its own advantages in being quicker to receive new versions of Android and will probably get supported for longer. But if the wait period for an N5 is too long for you then that's all a bit moot anyway.
Hmm might go with the HTC M8....i am not really keen on the plastic feel that the S5 has apparently.
xxvine
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)

Hey whats your opinion on the Sony Z3 compact?
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey whats your opinion on the Sony Z3 compact?
An excellent phone if you want a smaller one, its specs are fully in line with other flagships like the S5 and One M8 in terms of specs aside from screen resolution, but at sub-4.7" 720p is plenty.
xxvine
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
An excellent phone if you want a smaller one, its specs are fully in line with other flagships like the S5 and One M8 in terms of specs aside from screen resolution, but at sub-4.7" 720p is plenty.
the z3 is the bigger one right which is massive in size....
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (553)
37.82%
No - but I will (115)
7.87%
No - I don't want to (103)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (691)
47.26%

Watched Threads