A100 - President Amendment (Second Reading) Watch

This discussion is closed.
Faland
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
A100 - President Amendment (Second Reading)
Proposed by: The Rt. Hon. Matthew_Lowson MP
Seconded by: Birchington MP, O133 MP, Blue Meltwater MP, clh_hilary MP

President of the Republic of Great Britain Amendment

1 The President

To insert the following as section 1 of the Constitution:

(1) The Republic of Great Britain shall be served by an elected President who will serve as Head of State during their tenure.

(2). The President of the Republic shall serve as the Head of State of the Republic of Great Britain and Northern Ireland during their tenure as President.

(3) The roles and responsibilities of the President include the following
(3.1). Representing the Nation as Head of State at Home and Abroad
(3.2). Appointing and removing ministers to and from their respective offices on the advice and nomination of the Prime Minister.
(3.3). Appointing the Speaker and Deputy Speaker on the nomination of the House of Commons and approval of the Administration team.
(3.4). Will sign legislation passed by the House of Commons into Law.
(3.5). Will dissolve the House of Commons upon the request of the Prime Minister, or upon the expiration of the present parliament's term.
(3.5.1) A President will have the right to refuse a Dissolution request by the Prime Minister in the following circumstances:
(3.5.1.1). The Prime Minister has lost a vote of confidence within the House of Commons
(3.5.1.2.) The Government party / coalition holds a tally of seats which is less than the total than the party / coalition which makes up the Official opposition.
(3.5.1.3.) The Government party / coalition holds a tally of seats which is less than another coalition proposal officially submitted during the previous coalition negotiation period.
(3.5.2). In the event that a dissolution request is refused, The President will advise the Speaker to open up a seven day coalition negotiation period subject to the provisions laid down in the Guidance Document.

(4). A President is elected for a six month term which commences on the date after the declaration of the election result in which the President was elected.
(4.1). A President may serve a maximum of two six month terms.

(5). A President may exercise a Veto.
(5.1) The President must declare their veto within 24 hours of the closure the poll which relates to the veto.
(5.2). The House of Commons will have the right to pass a motion by which overrides this veto by means of a motion in the division lobby entitled "The House overrides the veto of President on item VXXX"
(5.2.1) Motions to override a veto must be proposed and seconded by an MP.
(5.2.2) Such a motion to override a presidential veto must be supported by at least 26 MPs for it to pass.
(5.2.3) Should the House of Commons twice pass motions overriding the presidential veto then the President will lose their right of veto for the remainder of their current term.

(6.1) The Office of President may be declared vacant in any of the following ways:
(6.1.1). The resignation of the incumbent
(6.1.2). The passage by the House of a Vote of No Confidence in the incumbent.
(6.1.3). The long term suspension or banning from the MHoC of the incumbent.
(6.2) In the event that the office of President falls vacant then the Speaker of the House will serve as Acting President until the election of a successor.

(7.) The President shall be elected under the Provisions laid down in the guidance document.
2 Presidential Elections

To insert the following into the Guidance Document:

(1). The election of a President will occur:
(1.1) Within 30 days of the end of the previous Presidential term
(1.2). Within 30 days of the Presidency becoming Vacant.

(2) Elections will use a runoff system to elect the president.
(2.1) The timetable for the election of a President is as follows:
Day 0 – The Speaker or returning officer will inform parties and independent MPs to submit manifestos and nominations
Day 3 - All candidate manifestos should have been received by the returning officer who shall admit them subject to them meeting the criteria to and nominations from proposer and seconders being received.
Day 6 – The Speaker or will post a thread containing ALL manifestos in the Main House of Commons sub-forum with the option for members to Q&A the Candidates
Day 9 ”.The Speaker or returning officer will post a thread containing a poll of all candidates including the option of RON in the Division Lobby alongside the Manifestos of all candidates. This poll will be open for four days
Day 13– Results of the election are declared by the speaker / returning officer. If no candidate has received an overall majority (i.e. 50.01+%) of the vote then the two candidates with the most votes will proceed to the second round of election. If there is a tie for second place then all candidates in the tie will proceed to the second round. Members will have 24 hours to inform the returning officer of their intent to withdraw should they wish to do so. In the event of a second, and further ballots, R.O.N. will only be deemed to be a candidate should it have qualified for these ballots.
Day 14 / 19 / 24 - Second round poll (if required) is posted within the Division Lobby.
Day 18 / 23 / 28 Result of the second round is declared by the returning officer. Should there be no result, further ballots using the procedure for a second ballot shall be held. The candidate which receives a majority of the vote, will be declared elected as President of the Republic of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

(3.) A maximum of 16 candidates may stand for election.
(3.1). Candidates may be nominated in either of the following ways:
(3.1.1). Themselves and one other MP from a party or independent MP different to their own if the candidate is themselves a serving MP.
(3.1.2). Themselves and 2MPs from two different political parties or independents if the candidate is not a serving MP
(3.1.3). Themselves alone - if they are an incumbent President or former President who has only served one term as President
(3.2) Candidates are not required to receive a formal party endorsement in order to run, nor are parties limited to only offering nominations to a single candidate.
3 Bill Procedures

To change the section titled "Enacting Words" in the Current Guidance Document from the below:

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-
And replace it with the below text:

IN ACCORDANCE with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, and upon the signing into law by the President of the British Republic, as follows:-

Changes from First Reading
  • Codified the process for overriding the veto.
  • Provisions made for the election to go to further rounds until a candidate receives a majority
  • Removed the death clause from reasons why the position will be deemed vacant.
Jean-Luc Picard
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
what's changed from the first reading?
Andy98
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Can you highlight the changes please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Green_Pink
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I quite like the change to the veto - although rather than 26 MPs it's probably better to set it to 50%+1 to guard against future changes to the size of the House

I think the inclusion of further election rounds if there's no majority support for any one option after round 2 needs to be explicitly stated somewhere rather than just "Should there be no result" along with the other implications there could be a third or further rounds.

Finally, you've got a stray speech mark next to "Day 9", and the use of " - " after each 'Day X' is inconsistent as is the use of full stops after each section number and whether they come inside or outside the brackets. Sorry to be pedantic
GoldenEmblem277
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Aye
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In day 6 it says the speaker or... with no other person after the or.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Matthew_Lowson
Badges: 17
Report 4 years ago
Changes:

Codified the process for overriding the veto.

Provisions made for the election to go to further rounds until a candidate receives a majority

Removed the death clause from reasons why the position will be deemed vacant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Matthew_Lowson
Badges: 17
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
In day 6 it says the speaker or... with no other person after the or.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Will be added to a third reading but it will be either the Speaker or a deputy appointed by them e.g Deputy Speaker or HoC CA

Posted from TSR Mobile
tehFrance
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
The veto shouldn't be able to be stopped due to a majority, what's the point in having one otherwise?

The rest is good.
username456717
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
nay
Green_Pink
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tehFrance)
The veto should be able to be stopped due to a majority, what's the point in having one otherwise?

The rest is good.
Since it now needs 26 votes to overturn, the veto could be used to overturn highly controversial legislation passed on an unacceptably low turnout or due to a high number of abstentions - it would need the active support of the majority of the House to survive.
tehFrance
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Green_Pink)
Since it now needs 26 votes to overturn, the veto could be used to overturn highly controversial legislation passed on an unacceptably low turnout or due to a high number of abstentions - it would need the active support of the majority of the House to survive.
I meant it shouldn't, my bad. I don't agree that you should be able to override it at all but that's me.
Faland
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Jean-Luc Picard)
x
(Original post by Andy98)
x
Changes highlighted in the new notes section. :yy:
Andy98
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Faland)
Changes highlighted in the new notes section. :yy:
Thank you.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think the president should also have some executive powers such as signing stuff into law without government (govenment being able to veto this)
also we need to address common law issues.
Andy98
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My main problem with this is the veto section. I don't think that it should be expressed as a number of MP's supporting the veto, I think it should be expressed as a percentage.
Jean-Luc Picard
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Andy98)
My main problem with this is the veto section. I don't think that it should be expressed as a number of MP's supporting the veto, I think it should be expressed as a percentage.
agree with this tbh, if it's changed to percentage then I am happy to support this though
Saracen's Fez
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Still an obvious aye!
username456717
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nay again. Can't remember if I have already commented.

Posted from TSR Mobile
tehFrance
Report 4 years ago
I've decided to vote against this. A veto is a veto, giving he house the ability to override a veto is ridiculous, may as well have kept the monarchy!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (82)
39.23%
No - but I will (9)
4.31%
No - I don't want to (13)
6.22%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (105)
50.24%

Watched Threads