Teach me the basics of deodorant/cologne use! Watch

HitBiscuit
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey there,

So for the best part of my teenage years I've always just thrown on some deodorant and not worried about much else. I've never really smelt bad after exercise (at least I don't think I do!) and don't sweat all that much, so I've never really needed to consider doing anything else.

However, as I'm getting older and am going out etc. I thought it'd be a good idea to start smelling good, and then realised I have no idea what I'm doing!

Essentially, I need some help. Do you apply cologne when going out for the day to lectures? Do you apply cologne on top of deodorant? I currently use an Old Spice deodorant stick but the smell isn't noticeable by others - is this good or bad? If I only use it for sweat-control could I then complement it with some Old Spice spray!? What of nights out??? And all this before I have to actually look to find some nice colognes!

As you can tell, this exciting new world of possibility has me intrigued, but I'm completely clueless and would appreciate some friendly advice.

Thank you to those who help in this,

Ben
HitBiscuit
Rep:
?
No advice with this folks?
mdlomax
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Essentially, I need some help. Do you apply cologne when going out for the day to lectures? Do you apply cologne on top of deodorant? I currently use an Old Spice deodorant stick but the smell isn't noticeable by others - is this good or bad? If I only use it for sweat-control could I then complement it with some Old Spice spray!? What of nights out??? And all this before I have to actually look to find some nice colognes!

Okay, I am far from a expert, and my taste in colognes may be a tad immature compared to the majority of the members on this board, however, I will try and help as much as i can.

Firstly, Scrap the old spice, it is similar to all body sprays.. lynx, david beckham ect... sure they're great to keep in the gym bag to freshen up, but not needed if you have a cologne on. Instead, get yourself a antiperspirant that isn't highly fragranced (I personally use Dove - Invisible dry which is strong smell but its just clean... not all that brazalian oranges ect rubbish.)

Secondly, Put cologne on just after you have got out the bath / showered, spray 1 spray on your wrist, and one on your chest, and one on your neck... this is strong enough for most fragrances to be smelt, but not to the extent its burning peoples noses or causing headaches.

Thirdly, Check up reviews on fragrances remember that a fragrance will smell different on each individual due to the bodys chemicals and oils, For a young man Joop is a great cheap option, as is One Million by paco rabone (It is cheaper than higher end fragrances) these are both somewhat popular so a lot of the more mature members would not like these due to their popularity / improper use such as over spraying of them...

Finally, Don't skimp out.. If you can afford the 200ml bottle for a extra £10, than the 100ml i'd recommend doing it, that 200ml will last you all year, If your looking for more expensive but incredible fragrances check out Dior Homme Intense (which is a EDP ... EDP's last longer, smell stronger but are far more expensive) or Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit.

Don't be discouraged if people don't compliment you on the smell of your cologne, it doesn't happen as much as you may think / people suggest, it also depends on your personality and how approachable you are..

Just play about see what works for yourself, just remember a man trying to smell good.. is better than a man who doesn't care and make sure you don't over spray!
And then...
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Incredible post there. I'd also like to throw this article out there,http://www.fashionbeans.com/2014/beg...ance-layering/
tufc
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I always apply aftershave when I'm going out to lectures, but I know I'm in the minority in this. It's important to distinguish between perfumes that are good for the daytime, and perfumes that are good for going out at night. In the daytime, you should be looking at fresher smells, often with citrus notes. My favourite daytime fragrances are as follows:

1. Bleu de Chanel - Chanel
2. Safari - Ralph Lauren
3. L'Homme - Yves Saint Laurent
4. Go! - Joop
5. Adventure - Davidoff
6. Oscar - Oscar De La Renta

Bleu de Chanel, Oscar and Go! are very nice for hot, summer days or fresh spring days, whilst Safari, L'Homme and Adventure are perhaps more suited to autumn.

The more interesting fragrances are those you'll be wearing at night, and this is where you get the fragrances that truly take your breath away. They tend to have a much more diverse range of notes, from the sweet, vanilla notes of One Million, to the dark, petrol-like odour of Fahrenheit by Dior. As said above, One Million and Joop Homme are very popular night-time fragrances amongst young men, and I own both; however, they have both become victims of their own success (especially One Million), and are now often disliked because they lack originality, as everyone is wearing them. One Million is a beautiful fragrance, but it screams "18-year-old going clubbing, downing bombs 'til they drop", and lacks subtlety. One of the most lovely things about choosing a fragrance is how many thousands there are to choose from - if there are thousands to choose from, why pick the one that everyone else is going for?

My top 5 night-time fragrances are as such:

1. Uomo - Valentino (quite honestly the most beautiful men's fragrance I've ever smelled)
2. Number One - Hugo Boss
3. One Million - Paco Rabanne (a cliche, but it is lovely)
4. Fahrenheit - Dior (popular, but not too overused)
5. Tom Ford - Tobacco Vanille

If you want to start out with a daytime and a night-time perfume, I'd go for L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent, and Uomo by Valentino. Both are lovely fragrances that are not used as much as they should be, and I get compliments about both.

As for applying them, do it after you get out the shower - go for one spray on the front of your neck, one spray on the back, and one spray on an arm (rub that with the other arm). As has been said, ditch the Old Spice, and get a neutral antiperspirant like Dove.

Hope this helps

p.s. a great website is fragrantica.com
mdlomax
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tufc)
I always apply aftershave when I'm going out to lectures, but I know I'm in the minority in this. It's important to distinguish between perfumes that are good for the daytime, and perfumes that are good for going out at night. In the daytime, you should be looking at fresher smells, often with citrus notes. My favourite daytime fragrances are as follows:

1. Bleu de Chanel - Chanel
2. Safari - Ralph Lauren
3. L'Homme - Yves Saint Laurent
4. Go! - Joop
5. Adventure - Davidoff
6. Oscar - Oscar De La Renta

Bleu de Chanel, Oscar and Go! are very nice for hot, summer days or fresh spring days, whilst Safari, L'Homme and Adventure are perhaps more suited to autumn.

The more interesting fragrances are those you'll be wearing at night, and this is where you get the fragrances that truly take your breath away. They tend to have a much more diverse range of notes, from the sweet, vanilla notes of One Million, to the dark, petrol-like odour of Fahrenheit by Dior. As said above, One Million and Joop Homme are very popular night-time fragrances amongst young men, and I own both; however, they have both become victims of their own success (especially One Million), and are now often disliked because they lack originality, as everyone is wearing them. One Million is a beautiful fragrance, but it screams "18-year-old going clubbing, downing bombs 'til they drop", and lacks subtlety. One of the most lovely things about choosing a fragrance is how many thousands there are to choose from - if there are thousands to choose from, why pick the one that everyone else is going for?

My top 5 night-time fragrances are as such:

1. Uomo - Valentino (quite honestly the most beautiful men's fragrance I've ever smelled)
2. Number One - Hugo Boss
3. One Million - Paco Rabanne (a cliche, but it is lovely)
4. Fahrenheit - Dior (popular, but not too overused)
5. Tom Ford - Tobacco Vanille

If you want to start out with a daytime and a night-time perfume, I'd go for L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent, and Uomo by Valentino. Both are lovely fragrances that are not used as much as they should be, and I get compliments about both.

As for applying them, do it after you get out the shower - go for one spray on the front of your neck, one spray on the back, and one spray on an arm (rub that with the other arm). As has been said, ditch the Old Spice, and get a neutral antiperspirant like Dove.

Hope this helps

p.s. a great website is fragrantica.com

This man sums it up perfect, I still have a lot of work to do on the working on night-time wear, and everyday use ones.. as i personally wear one million and joop as everyday fragrances (Not so much joop anymore) due to how cheap i find them, but also how incredible tehy are for their prices.. Joop was the first fragrance i ever owned so i will always love that one.. but they are more suitable for the night time as said by tufc...

Get yourself into a chemist, and ask to sample a few remeber.. not too many at a time.. and don't let them influence your decision, wait a day, maybe two and see how you feel about the fragrance, how its longetivity was.. and check up the website he listed, i personally make my purchased based on what i hear is great from their, as i don't have a local chemist / shop that stocks a large range of fragrances, only the likes of one direction.. miley cyrus, britney and all that kinda crap (BTW! sometimes these aren't too bad again it depends on your choice, but i do recommeond the designer brands)
HitBiscuit
Rep:
?
Thanks for all the help here guys, I feel I have a much better gauge of what to go for! Essentially, ditch silly smelling deodorant/anti-p for a neutral smelling one and grab some nice cologne.

(Original post by mdlomax)
Get yourself into a chemist, and ask to sample a few remeber.. not too many at a time.. and don't let them influence your decision, wait a day, maybe two and see how you feel about the fragrance, how its longetivity was..
So when looking for a new fragrance I can just pop to my local chemist and try them out? That sounds too easy! I'll definitely be heading there next time I'm free.

Again, thanks for all the awesome suggestions. I'll look out for the ones you've all suggested and go from there!

Ben
mdlomax
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by HitBiscuit)
Thanks for all the help here guys, I feel I have a much better gauge of what to go for! Essentially, ditch silly smelling deodorant/anti-p for a neutral smelling one and grab some nice cologne.

So when looking for a new fragrance I can just pop to my local chemist and try them out? That sounds too easy! I'll definitely be heading there next time I'm free.

Again, thanks for all the awesome suggestions. I'll look out for the ones you've all suggested and go from there!

Ben
Indeed, they have testers which they often spray on paper, however, some places allow you to spray it on your skin, or department stores like debenhams have testers available to try yourself... if they try and spray it on paper you maybe able to ask them to spray it on the skin as you wish to smell it how it would smell if you purchased it and due to your bodys oils, it won't be similar to how it does on the paper.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (269)
38.26%
No - but I will (50)
7.11%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.25%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (333)
47.37%

Watched Threads