Third year stress Watch

Sami1992t
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey guys,

I don't have a clue where to put this post so I hope that this will do.

I'm looking for some tips on how to deal with stress and anxiety at university.

I seriously feel an overwhelming amount of anxiety and stress weighing down on me. It effects everything from sleep to my relationships. I know it's normal to feel stress at university, but I swear it's actually preventing me progressing now. I feel like it's this massive anchor weighing me down. I am petrified of failing. I'm petrified of not managing the work load. I'm petrified of not meeting deadlines. I'm petrified of not understanding the content. After each lecture I come away wishing to myself that I was just a little bit more clever! I don't think I've ever felt more dumb or out of my depth in my life. I feel like it is so close now, that if I miss out on a degree now, these past 4 years will be a waste ( first year out of those four were at another uni doing another degree which I quit). I averaged 71 last year so I know I'm capable of getting a 2.1 overall... Yet every day I feel like I'm dragging this massive weight along which is slowing me down. I want this so much. Almost too much that it's disadvantaging me now. I feel every step I take with each assignment is very shaky ground which just has no guarantees. It's sickening the amount of fear I have that I could have wasted so much time and money.

Help.... Also god help me if I'm this much of a wreck this early on
Ebony19
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Sami1992t)
Hey guys,

I don't have a clue where to put this post so I hope that this will do.

I'm looking for some tips on how to deal with stress and anxiety at university.

I seriously feel an overwhelming amount of anxiety and stress weighing down on me. It effects everything from sleep to my relationships. I know it's normal to feel stress at university, but I swear it's actually preventing me progressing now. I feel like it's this massive anchor weighing me down. I am petrified of failing. I'm petrified of not managing the work load. I'm petrified of not meeting deadlines. I'm petrified of not understanding the content. After each lecture I come away wishing to myself that I was just a little bit more clever! I don't think I've ever felt more dumb or out of my depth in my life. I feel like it is so close now, that if I miss out on a degree now, these past 4 years will be a waste ( first year out of those four were at another uni doing another degree which I quit). I averaged 71 last year so I know I'm capable of getting a 2.1 overall... Yet every day I feel like I'm dragging this massive weight along which is slowing me down. I want this so much. Almost too much that it's disadvantaging me now. I feel every step I take with each assignment is very shaky ground which just has no guarantees. It's sickening the amount of fear I have that I could have wasted so much time and money.

Help.... Also god help me if I'm this much of a wreck this early on
Okay so like you said it is really early on in the year so it's not too late to get yourself in a place where you're grounded enough to properly deal with the work.

However I started the year similarly but didn't deal with it until I was almost disabled by the amount of stress. At the same time as my final exams a heap load of other stuff decided to crop up in my personal life which all made things gloriously unmanageable. I caved big time.

Essentially what would have helped me greatly is to firstly quieten the noise in my mind. Instead of powering on full speed ahead to breaking point. Literally whenever you next get the chance, whenever it's quiet in the house or whatever consider what it is that would ground you and make you relaxed and that can be taken through to the end of the year. You have to make time to collect your thoughts and relax.

Forget any drama with friends but make time for friends you know won't mind if you aren't partying all the time. If you have family problems see a counselor it's really important to have an outlet or someone to talk to if things are going on which are interfering with your ability to focus on your work. I think most people could do with a counselor so maybe use the service at your university anyway even if you don't have any of these problems.

Make sure you still have time for leisure be it sports or other. But sports is particularly good.

Speak to your personal tutor and explain your concerns they may offer useful support.

Keep in contact friends on your course.

If your parents are generally quite supportive speak to them and just tell them how you feel hopefully they'll give you the right kind of support.

But importantly remember if things don't work out you can always do a masters degree when you're ready and make up any not so admirable grades.

Probably things you see pinned up at university all the time but hope it helps a little. Stay calm
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (524)
37.59%
No - but I will (109)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (96)
6.89%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (665)
47.7%

Watched Threads