The Student Room Group

UK ring tone when abroad

I have a work mobile phone that is under the Vodafone network.

I need to go abroad for a week so I need my mobile number to ring with a UK ring tone.

How can I make this happen? I heard that some companies offer the option of buying a UK number from them, where your mobile calls will be diverted to, and then the call will be diverted back to your mobile number. Bit I am not sure where those companies are..

If someone can help I will be grateful.

Many thanks!
Original post by kesm

I need to go abroad for a week so I need my mobile number to ring with a UK ring tone.

How can I make this happen? I heard that some companies offer the option of buying a UK number from them, where your mobile calls will be diverted to, and then the call will be diverted back to your mobile number. Bit I am not sure where those companies are..

Many thanks!

I'm not sure you mean ring tone, the sound the phone makes when it rings goes with the phone, not the number or its location.

If you take a UK phone abroad it will work as normal, if it can get signal in that country, and pretty much any modern phone will work in any countries these days.
I always make sure my phone rings with Rule Britannia when I am abroad, and I answer it "Hello old chap!" to make sure any natives around know I'm a citizen of Her Majesty's United Kingdom.
Reply 3
So when you ring a mobile phone and the mobile phone is in the UK it makes a sound like beep beep beep beep.

So when you ring a mobile phone and the mobile phone is in Greece it makes a sound like beeeeeeeeeeep beeeeeeeeeeep.

I want to ensure that when my UK mobile phone is in Greece, it still makes the beep beep sound, when it rings.
So I am talking about the sound that the person that will call me will hear.

Makes sense?

Original post by jameswhughes
I'm not sure you mean ring tone, the sound the phone makes when it rings goes with the phone, not the number or its location.

If you take a UK phone abroad it will work as normal, if it can get signal in that country, and pretty much any modern phone will work in any countries these days.
Reply 4
Original post by kesm
So when you ring a mobile phone and the mobile phone is in the UK it makes a sound like beep beep beep beep.

So when you ring a mobile phone and the mobile phone is in Greece it makes a sound like beeeeeeeeeeep beeeeeeeeeeep.

I want to ensure that when my UK mobile phone is in Greece, it still makes the beep beep sound, when it rings.

Makes sense?

Your caller is still dialling a UK number (i.e. your Vodafone number) so they will not know if you are outside the UK.
Original post by kesm

Makes sense?

I see. I suppose that's to do with it being connected via another network, though I've never noticed it myself.

Why does it matter? Isn't the connection time the same regardless?
Original post by kesm

Many thanks!

The tone you're referring to is the 'ringback' tone. As far as I know, for most operators it switches to the foreign one while you are abroad. (perhaps so the caller knows you may incur charges to answer)
The service you're looking for is called 'Call Forwarding', but the caller will have to have the new number from the call forwarding service as opposed to your actual phone number.

Original post by jneill
Your caller is still dialling a UK number (i.e. your Vodafone number) so they will not know if you are outside the UK.

Not true, when a mobile is abroad, it uses the foreign ringback tone.
Reply 7
Original post by SummerAnthems
The tone you're referring to is the 'ringback' tone. As far as I know, for most operators it switches to the foreign one while you are abroad. (perhaps so the caller knows you may incur charges to answer)
The service you're looking for is called 'Call Forwarding', but the caller will have to have the new number from the call forwarding service as opposed to your actual phone number.

Not true, when a mobile is abroad, it uses the foreign ringback tone.

My bad!

Here's a discussion on Vodafone's forum.

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay-as-you-go-services/English-call-tone-when-abroad/td-p/1032903
Reply 8

Thanks I have already seen and commented on the Vodafone forum one and have posted on a Skype forum.
However I was wondering if you know of any companies that provide the service of having my phone ring with a UK ring tone when I am abroad.
Basically what your saying is when your abroad and someone from uk rings you then you want them to think your still in the uk and not abroad! Don't think it can be done because as soon as you cross English Channel and into France the dialling tone on your mobile will change to a continual long sound rather than quick beeps. Been calling abroad for years as my husband goes abroad regularly so know this is right
Original post by Karen Dennison
Basically what your saying is when your abroad and someone from uk rings you then you want them to think your still in the uk and not abroad! Don't think it can be done because as soon as you cross English Channel and into France the dialling tone on your mobile will change to a continual long sound rather than quick beeps. Been calling abroad for years as my husband goes abroad regularly so know this is right

This thread is from 2014! Please check the dates before posting in future.

Thread closed.