Failed twice, expecting expulsion, still want to study Watch

Ceasar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I failed twice, both failures were due to my own lack of ambition. The work wasn't hard in a "hard-to-process" sense but rather, more of a "requires self-discipline" sense. I simply never developed any reason to care about the work or my future or my life or anything so I would continue to waste my days playing video games and browsing imageboards in a continuous apathetic stupor up until very recently where I, in my Mechanical Engineering course, find out about companies like ARUP and AECOM and architects like Jean Nouvel who do exactly what I've been dreaming about these past couple years. I actually feel incredibly motivated for the first time in my life but I feel it's actually too little, too late as you're only covered for one failure.

Is there anything I can do to get the funding? So far, I've managed to apply for the Student Finance maintenance grant and I've also applied for Halifax's Student Account feature. Combining the two together, I had enough for the first term however the second and third terms are the problem. Even if I get a part-time job, would it be enough?
Powpowpowpowpow
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Where do you live?
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Did you fail everything or just a few modules? If it's the latter, speak to the uni as they may be able to let you retake the exams so that you can progress.

Alternatively, look into the Open University. You study part time so can get a job to fund it, and the fees are also lower.

Posted from TSR Mobile
parentlurker
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
why not take a year off, work hard and save up. You could study with the Open University. When you are sure you are disciplined enough to study go back.
Ceasar
Rep:
?
(Original post by Powpowpowpowpow)
Where do you live?
West Midlands, UK. I don't feel like going into specifics, why?
Ceasar
Rep:
?
(Original post by Juno)
Did you fail everything or just a few modules? If it's the latter, speak to the uni as they may be able to let you retake the exams so that you can progress.

Alternatively, look into the Open University. You study part time so can get a job to fund it, and the fees are also lower.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was a huge perfectionist so when I saw how bad my grades would be due to my own lack of revision, I decided that it's best that I simply don't take the exam. Then I saw how bad my entire semester would be and so my downward spiral continued.
I may need to look into the Open University, yeah. They don't seem to have any Mech. Eng. courses available though.
Ceasar
Rep:
?
(Original post by parentlurker)
why not take a year off, work hard and save up. You could study with the Open University. When you are sure you are disciplined enough to study go back.
I'm scared to do this because I was born in the Summer of '93. I was a part of the final year of people for whom University would only be £3G. If I do what you said, I'd have to pay the full £9G whereas right now, it's cheap(er).
Powpowpowpowpow
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ceasar)
West Midlands, UK. I don't feel like going into specifics, why?
Just wanted to know because they handle things differently in different parts of the UK. If it was in Scotland I might have been able to help but I don't know how it works in England. Sorry I can't be of help.
parentlurker
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ceasar)
I'm scared to do this because I was born in the Summer of '93. I was a part of the final year of people for whom University would only be £3G. If I do what you said, I'd have to pay the full £9G whereas right now, it's cheap(er).
Are you sure you won't have to pay 9k anyway if you start another course? Might wannt to check with student finance and have a look at this open university information http://www.open.ac.uk/postgraduate/qualifications/m03
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (292)
37.63%
No - but I will (55)
7.09%
No - I don't want to (56)
7.22%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (373)
48.07%

Watched Threads