Do some groups whine on too much? Watch

darzenalblex
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Why do some fat people complain about discrimination? Are they denied the right to vote? Are they denied any legal rights at all? can't they just suck it up?
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Some people complain too much yes. Particularly people who think freedom of speech means freedom from criticism. Racists, homophobes etc seem to do this a lot - they don't like being criticised and when that happens they try to turn it into a free speech issue.

A bit like this thread actually - someone complaining about being criticised.
thesabbath
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Identity politics is all about self-interest. Any person who is not a white, heterosexual, middle/upper-class male is expected to deem themselves "oppressed" by society and call for state redistribution of resources and biased laws to help ameliorate this. The state ideology of cultural Marxism tells them that they are quite correct to seek additional "rights" because this is the only way to achieve equality of outcome, however while this is a communist fantasy with no real world basis, the short-term privileges accrued by subscribing to these beliefs are nonetheless beneficial for those who hold their noses and buy into it, while the bonds of society are further weakened with every minority demand against the majority.
thesabbath
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RFowler)
Some people complain too much yes. Particularly people who think freedom of speech means freedom from criticism. Racists, homophobes etc seem to do this a lot - they don't like being criticised and when that happens they try to turn it into a free speech issue.

A bit like this thread actually - someone complaining about being criticised.
"Racist" and "homophobe" are just hate words invented by the far-left to condemn critics of their political fantasies.

Unfortunately in the past couple of decades, laws such as the "equality act" have criminalised various such thought crimes ("racism", "homophobia" etc.) as "hate speech" and you can forget about holding public office if you dare to express yourself in a fashion which does not coincide with what is "acceptable" in politically correct totalitarianism. The state is indeed restricting freedom of speech, by condemning those who break rank, it is politically biased to the extreme left and does not permit a framework in which deviating opinions can be safely expressed without punitive redress.
Skip_Snip
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by thesabbath)
Any person who is not a white, heterosexual, middle/upper-class male is expected to deem themselves "oppressed" by society and call for state redistribution of resources and biased laws to help ameliorate this.
I'm gay and working class, I don't feel oppressed or expect the more well off to help me
thesabbath
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Skip_Snip)
I'm gay and working class, I don't feel oppressed or expect the more well off to help me
The homosexual politics lobby will consider you a class traitor for that, and if you're not speaking out against them but silently accruing the benefits then the opposition will nonetheless consider you a fellow traveller, so you may as well join them.
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
"Racist" and "homophobe" are just hate words invented by the far-left to condemn critics of their political fantasies.

Unfortunately in the past couple of decades, laws such as the "equality act" have criminalised various such thought crimes ("racism", "homophobia" etc.) as "hate speech" and you can forget about holding public office if you dare to express yourself in a fashion which does not coincide with what is "acceptable" in politically correct totalitarianism. The state is indeed restricting freedom of speech, by condemning those who break rank, it is politically biased to the extreme left and does not permit a framework in which deviating opinions can be safely expressed without punitive redress.
No they're not, they're real words with real meanings about serious issues.

I'm talking about genuine racism and homophobia here, not things like just wanting stricter immigration controls. Of course you're going to be condemned for saying stuff like "gay people shouldn't be allowed to adopt children" or "being gay is a sin" or comparing homosexuality to paedophilia. No one's stopping you from expressing those hateful views, but expect lots of criticism for them.
Skip_Snip
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The homosexual politics lobby will consider you a class traitor for that, and if you're not speaking out against them but silently accruing the benefits then the opposition will nonetheless consider you a fellow traveller, so you may as well join them.
How? I can marry and adopt kids if I so choose, and the only people who disagree with me doing so are widely seen as idiots. What else do I need to lobby for? I find lobbiests as annoying as naysayers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (503)
37.65%
No - but I will (103)
7.71%
No - I don't want to (92)
6.89%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (638)
47.75%

Watched Threads