Meeting the parents Watch

C_tinie_D
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
After how many dates do you think is a good time for your romantic interest to meet your parrents? Whether it's just a simple hello/introduction or a formal sit down meal. Question for both the guys and gals.
donutaud15
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
When you're ready. Personally couple of months sounds about right

Posted from TSR Mobile
Balloon Baboon
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by C_tinie_D)
After how many dates do you think is a good time for your romantic interest to meet your parrents? Whether it's just a simple hello/introduction or a formal sit down meal. Question for both the guys and gals.

Never. Just pretend they moved to Spain.
Rum Ham
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It all depends. Me and my bf were friends before dating so my mum knew him from day one but I didn't meet his parents for a few weeks after becoming a couple. I would say when you feel comfortable about showing them to your parents and know its a serious relationship, whether that is within a few weeks or months, is the best time to introduce them. There is no rush.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Balloon Baboon
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Spock's Socks)
It all depends. Me and my bf were friends before dating so my mum knew him from day one but I didn't meet his parents for a few weeks after becoming a couple. I would say when you feel comfortable about showing them to your parents and know its a serious relationship, whether that is within a few weeks or months, is the best time to introduce them. There is no rush.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed. There is no rush.
Alfissti
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My parents never knew they were grandparents before they met the ex-wife for the first time, was after 7 years.

I always tell my kids to bring back their romantic interest within 2 weeks so I could interview him or her
Balloon Baboon
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Alfissti)
My parents never knew they were grandparents before they met the ex-wife for the first time, was after 7 years.

I always tell my kids to bring back their romantic interest within 2 weeks so I could interview him or her

Bahaha! 'interview' that's hilarious!
LavenderBlueSky88
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Depends. Met my ex's parents a few dates in. Met one guys (accidently) on the first date! But then I've been with my current boyfriend a year and still haven't really met his (briefly met his mum recently but wasn't introduced as a girlfriend).
Plumstone
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My boyfriend met my mum and my brother at the same time he met me because we were all at the same event the night we met, so he never had to "meet the parents" as it were.

I met his parents after six dates, but we'd known each other for about three and a half months by that time, as we were long distance. I went to stay with his parents over the Easter weekend and they were really lovely, even though I was quite nervous about it all...
gemmam
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Depends really but I'd say after a couple of months is reasonable. I didn't meet my boyfriend's parents until 7 months into the relationship and he met my mother not long after (although he had met a few of my other family members about 2/3 months into the relationship); however we're semi long distance and his parents live in a totally different part of the country. I guess if we all lived nearer it would've been sooner.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Olderandwiser23
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by C_tinie_D)
Depends on the family dynamics. My partner met my parents after 1.5 years lol and I've only just met his after 3! But I don't think it's important. I'm not having a relationship with his family nor him with mine. But we are very very independent from our families.

Posted from TSR Mobile
joker12345
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I wouldn't introduce a boyfriend till at least a year, when it's a proper, serious committed relationship.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
my partner met my mum after around a year and my dad after about 18 months, I met his parents after about 2 years

sounds like forever but we know each other through university and our families live very far apart so we never really go to stay at each others family home, we meet back up in our university town during holidays and so forth so only met each other's parents when they happened to come to visit
pinkbullets
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Depends how old you are really. If you're both in school/sixth form and both live with your parents then I'd say a few weeks was right. I first started dating my boyfriend in sixth form and he met my parents after a few weeks (just a quick introduction before we went upstairs) and I met his parents at his sister's birthday meal after about a month. But if neither of you live at home I'd say a few months. To be honest, it depends if you want your boyfriend/girlfriend to be heavily integrated into your family or not. I've never been that bothered and keep my family/relationship as separate as possible.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (551)
37.84%
No - but I will (114)
7.83%
No - I don't want to (102)
7.01%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (689)
47.32%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed