TSR Mobile site: how can we improve navigation? Watch

Queen Cersei
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
We are wondering how you all feel about the navigation on the TSR mobile site and what you would like to do to improve it.

Have your say here!
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Its too small and doesn't work well in general due to the way touchscreens work. It would be better to work on the app as it is more user friendly and simply add notifacations to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
shadowdweller
  • Volunteer Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Its too small and doesn't work well in general due to the way touchscreens work. It would be better to work on the app as it is more user friendly and simply add notifications to it.
I'd agree with this, tbh. The mobile site is good as it stands, but with a number of people still using the app, seems like that would be better to improve first :dontknow:
Huskaris
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'd like that latest discussions sidebar to be on there.

Currently you have to go on someone's profile to get it.
Illusionary
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Its too small and doesn't work well in general due to the way touchscreens work. It would be better to work on the app as it is more user friendly and simply add notifacations to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd also agree - especially as, to my knowledge, there's no practical way to push notifications via the mobile site; by contrast, the later versions of Tapatalk (on which the TSR app is based) build upon the notifications function natively (e.g., to support quote notifications). However, from previous discussions it seems that further work on the app isn't likely.
Captain Jack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks for your help gang. We're going to improve the app as well (hopefully with notifications and quotes) soon but in this thread we're specifically interested in the navigation of the mobile site, so any more tips around that would be useful i.e. how can we help you navigate to different forums better?
shadowdweller
  • Volunteer Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Captain Jack)
Thanks for your help gang. We're going to improve the app as well (hopefully with notifications and quotes) soon but in this thread we're specifically interested in the navigation of the mobile site, so any more tips around that would be useful i.e. how can we help you navigate to different forums better?
I'd agree with Huskaris, integrating the latest discussion widget - or any of the widgets really - would be a good addition. Otherwise navigation seems much the same as on the desktop site.
Arkasia
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It doesn't come with a free smartphone. 0/10.
Chrosson
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've just tried to use the mobile site on my (windows) phone.

1. First I found there's no search functionality.
2. Then I found I cannot visit any threads. Going to one auto-redirects me to a 'reply to post' page, which asks me to sign up to TSR. No, I don't want to sign in to read a single thread.
3. Then I found there's no button to revert to the desktop site.
4. Then I found the built in functionality on windows phone to 'prefer desktop site' doesn't work.

(turns out that signing lets me read a thread)
Tyler Varona
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How do you revert back to the desktop site?
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Tyler Varona)
How do you get away with your sig?
Illusionary
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
From a mobile? You don't, AFAIK. :no:
Tyler Varona
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Illusionary)
From a mobile? You don't, AFAIK. :no:
What? Why?
Illusionary
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What? Why?
The site works based on your screen size, IIRC - once you go to phone size, you're on the mobile version.

Ah, but I've just remembered, there's an on/off option in your TSR options: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/pro...do=editoptions (near to the bottom of the page)
Tyler Varona
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Illusionary)
The site works based on your screen size, IIRC - once you go to phone size, you're on the mobile version.

Ah, but I've just remembered, there's an on/off option in your TSR options: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/pro...do=editoptions (near to the bottom of the page)
Thank you
Captain Jack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just out of curiosity, so we can improve the mobile site, why do you prefer using the desktop one on mobile?
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Captain Jack)
Just out of curiosity, so we can improve the mobile site, why do you prefer using the desktop one on mobile?
I prefer using the desktop version on any site where mobile version is enabled, because I know where everything is, and you have the full functionality, whereas due to the reduced screen size on phones, mobile sites often have some things tucked away from the home screen, hence with the desktop version, it's all there...
Ggmu!
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The buttons are placed awfully I think. I press on notifications and the page refreshes, despite clearly pressing the little bell.

Quite slow, was surprised at how slow and unresponsive the Mobile site is tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Birkenhead
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
@Illusionary

Small problem...I'm on a PC but for some reason am using the mobile site and there's no way back through the looking glass
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (26)
50%
No - but I will (1)
1.92%
No - I don't want to (1)
1.92%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (24)
46.15%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise