Will I struggle to get into the university of York with an access course ? Watch

daz2000
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Posted from TSR Mobile
carlaraptor
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It depends on the degree you want to do, which Access course you're on, and how well you do.

From what I can remember, for the English Lit degree I'm applying for, they want 45 credits - 30 at Distinction, and 15 at Merit or above.
automobile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey i'm currently doing an access course, though I've only just handed my UCAS applications in, apparently A-levels are on par with access courses, a pass is equivalent to a C, merit B, distinction A, I think also the fact your a mature student/have more life experience goes into your favour if you present that in your personal statement, for York the entry requirements for courses like psychology & sociology are much lower than other unis surprisingly, I've applied to York, Nottingham & Sheffield and York is asking for 30 distinctions & 9 merits, Nottingham 30 distinctions & 10 merits and Sheff 30 distinctions and 15 merits. I think because of the nature of the subject they are open to people with lower grades or different backgrounds, my brother was predicted to get A's in his A-levels though he got BBC and he still got offered a place at York, I'd go for it, you've got uni 5 choices.
daz2000
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Don't mean to sound stupid but what do you mean by 30 distinctions ?
automobile
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by daz2000)
Don't mean to sound stupid but what do you mean by 30 distinctions ?
Access courses have a different number of credits, my course has 45 some are graded some aren't if they are graded they are graded either a fail (you can retake), a pass, a merit or a distinction in each unit there's usually around 3 credits
kaizzu
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I started a History degree at York this year and I did a humanities access course. They will likely want you to get 30 distinctions, that seems to be the standard offer.
NickGraham9390
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Im currently doing an access course with Newcastle College and York have offered me a place with 30D and 9M for Business and Management (2015)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of York
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • University of York
    Sun, 30 Jun '19
  • University of York
    Sat, 14 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (512)
37.76%
No - but I will (104)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (93)
6.86%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (647)
47.71%

Watched Threads