The Student Room Group

Who is the best footballer in history?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mud4554r
Would you ignore all the controversial things he did though? In my opinion, if you want to be declared as the greatest, you have to have a good life both on and off the pitch.

lol tax evasion
Original post by Sex God
Wow, anyone who thinks Ronaldinho was not the greatest footballer ever does not have a functioning brain.

This is a troll post but another player I wanted to mention.

I love Ronaldinho. The Chelsea matches around '04-05. The elastico. As far as entertainers go there is nobody better. You never knew what he was going to do next but you can bet your life you hadn't seen it before. He isn't far off Messi when it comes to natural talent and he was more of a joy to watch.

His peak was far too short though. Really wish he'd had the dedication of Cristiano.
Henry with more votes than Maradona and Best. Seems legit.
On the pitch Maradona was the best that ever walked the Earth. Unfortunately, he was a **** off the pitch.
Not even close for me..

Ronaldinho

His peak was much shorter than Messi's but he was on a level of greatness that i've not seen before or since. Messi and co are every bit as good at scoring goals but none make my mouth drop or make the worlds best look like their championship players like he did.

[video="youtube;ozZRij2FrKI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozZRij2FrKI[/video]
Reply 85
Messi, Ronaldo, Pele all good players imo but could they do it against the GOAT that is Ryan Shawcross. Do you even manhandle son.
Reply 86
Who the **** hacked the poll and put like 9 million votes for smalling
Reply 87
Can a mod sort the poll out asap
Original post by Wilfred Little
Both great players. Zidane was piss poor for quite a while towards the end of his career. People need to take the nostalgia glasses off. (...)

Firstly it is normal that footballers are getting worse at the end of their careers, just because they are getting older. Secondly Zidane was good enough at least to play a good world championship in 2006 before he has finished his career. :wink:
Reply 89
Original post by Kallisto
Firstly it is normal that footballers are getting worse at the end of their careers, just because they are getting older. Secondly Zidane was good enough at least to play a good world championship in 2006 before he has finished his career. :wink:

In that case Pirlo must be a shout?
Original post by mud4554r
In that case Pirlo must be a shout?

As a rule footballers are not able to meet the high requirements in the highest football league in a high age permanently. Players like Pirlo are exceptions, but good ones. :smile:
Reply 91
As a rule footballers are not able to meet the high requirements in the highest football league in a high age permanently. Players like Pirlo are exceptions, but good ones. :smile:

This might be going a bit far but I think Pirlo can be considered better than Zidane in so many ways...
Reply 92
LOL @ Ronaldinho having so many votes.
There's only one Ronaldo as far as I'm concerned.

wtf is the world championship :o::confused:

Zidane was poor for years before he retired.

Iniesta has actually pissed all over Zidane by the way. Far more consistent and generally a better footballer to watch. Compare club careers. Or even international ones. Knock out blow. It's not a coincidence Barcelona and Spain have killed it from 2008-2013.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Henry with more votes than Maradona and Best. Seems legit.

Nobody on these boards was alive when either of them were in their prime.
Original post by sr90
Nobody on these boards was alive when either of them were in their prime.

BRB going to PM Old Simon
Original post by Kenan and Kel
BRB going to PM Old Simon

What happened to him? Not seen him on here for a while.
How do people rate the Brazilian Ronaldo as one of the best strikers ever?
Messi between 2011 and 2013 was the greatest player I have ever seen and probably will see.

Quick Reply

Latest