Plagiarising your own personal statement? Watch

Emstein A.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Apologies in advance if this is an idiotic question.

I used to go to a top university, but I left just before Year 2. I'm reapplying at the moment (not to the same one, obviously), and have to write a personal statement for the new course, but as I'm doing it I've realised that I have some seriously amazing paras (if I do say so myself, lol) from my old PS that are generic enough to be included in the new, and very hard to reword. I mean, if they got me into said top uni (the only reason why I mentioned it, I'm not just boasting), they must be alright, right? That's my logic, anyway. So my question is: is plagiarising your own PS plagiarising? I wrote the thing myself, I'm just re-using it - is the software going to pick it up, and instantly reject my application? Or is it going to pick up that I'm copying it from myself, but instantly reject it either way? Or is it going to each university, for them to decide?

Again, I am sorry if this question aggravates you. It just doesn't seem very fair if plagiarising yourself is still considered plagiarising (although it does make me laugh) ... I don't make a habit of course, but I'm on a very tight deadline, and it would save me a LOT of time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you, lovelies!
alleycat393
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Reusing previously submitted work is self-plagiarism and will get flagged up by UCAS' plagiarism software but won't get flagged up to unis. I strongly suggest that you don't use the paras as they are and show that you've made an effort and have done something in the time between your leaving your previous uni and now to strengthen your application.
Emstein A.
Rep:
?
(Original post by alleycat393)
Reusing previously submitted work is self-plagiarism and will get flagged up by UCAS' plagiarism software but won't get flagged up to unis. I strongly suggest that you don't use the paras as they are and show that you've made an effort and have done something in the time between your learning your previous uni and now to strengthen your application.
Thank you, this is very helpful! :gthumb:
indigobluesss
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't think it should be a problem, I was talking to the dentistry admission tutors at Bart's about taking a gap year (which I considered at the time) but anyways, they did say that you can reapply with the same personal statement. If it was good enough to get you in the first time then why not....

Besides you're not applying to the same uni so~
Emstein A.
Rep:
?
Oh, another question - should I mention the university that I used to go to by name, or?

Thanks!
alleycat393
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There isn't any need to mention your previous studied in your personal statement unless you've learnt something relevant to the new course from them or are reflecting on studying at uni. It should go in your education section.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (561)
37.68%
No - but I will (116)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (106)
7.12%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (706)
47.41%

Watched Threads