Georgism Watch

illegaltobepoor
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I would advocate a completely radical system. Georgism.

Monopoly of land is the main reason why there is huge concentration of wealth in the hands of a few. I advocate taxing land.

Consider this. All the products you have scattered around your home are materials which came from the Earth. Some are oil based. Why should one man have rights to the energy of millions of years of production? Because he found it? And yet he is willing to deprive everyone else in the world for his own greed? Wasn't his knowledge & expertise passed onto him by other human beings? Yet him & his supporters justify hoarding the worlds resources to themselves.

The fact is that all human beings have a stake on this Planet. We all live, breath, exhale and consume. We all share a relationship to the land. The land is part of us and we are part of it.

This is why we have to stop the few from depriving everyone else.

Birkenhead
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by illegaltobepoor)

Monopoly of land is the main reason why there is huge concentration of wealth in the hands of a few. I advocate taxing land.

Consider this. All the products you have scattered around your home are materials which came from the Earth. Some are oil based. Why should one man have rights to the energy of millions of years of production? Because he found it? And yet he is willing to deprive everyone else in the world for his own greed? Wasn't his knowledge & expertise passed onto him by other human beings? Yet him & his supporters justify hoarding the worlds resources to themselves.

The fact is that all human beings have a stake on this Planet. We all live, breath, exhale and consume. We all share a relationship to the land. The land is part of us and we are part of it.

This is why we have to stop the few from depriving everyone else.

This is a policy of the Liberal party.

http://www.liberal.org.uk/html/wherewestand.htm
GHSilver
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Firstly I give you no permission to associate my name with such an ideology
Yes I agree that monopolies are the problem but a government monopoly is no better than a private one.
If you found oil in your back garden you're perfectly entitled to do with it what you want. But if you did then what on earth would do with it? You don't think everyone is an oil technician surely? Society is organised this way because people would rather pay somebody else or a group of people who have the knowledge, expertise, manpower and resources to do a particular thing much better and much more efficiently than that person would be able to do alone. This goes back to the principle of the division of labour. When human beings lived as hunter gatherers, we used to have to do everything needed for survival by ourselves including: hunting, foraging, fishing, preparing food, making tools, making clothing, finding water, evading predators, building shelter, fighting enemies ect.Nowadays our lives are much more complicated there is no way we could maintain our standard of living if private companies were not allowed to use and manipulate natural resources. If you're only allowing the government to do this I fail to see how it is any different to a monopoly.
The fact is that all human beings have a stake on this Planet. We all live, breath, exhale and consume. We all share a relationship to the land. The land is part of us and we are part of it.This is why we have to stop the few from depriving everyone else.
This is all extremely vague and abstract, all I can say is so what? Maybe that 0.00000001 % of the world's oil belongs to me but you know what, I don't have time to extract, refine and produce anything with that oil nor do I have the knowledge and skills to do so, frankly I'd rather let the oil companies do it for me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (477)
38.16%
No - but I will (95)
7.6%
No - I don't want to (88)
7.04%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (590)
47.2%

Watched Threads