Desperately needing advice on applications to HKU + CU Watch

carl0l0
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi All, I am applying to HKU and CU this year and got really frustrated by the course choices so really need some help here.

First of all, I was studying HK and was transfered to study in England 2 years ago. I am now in a gap year and had just finished a level with 5A's in all 3 sciences + maths + chinese. I did not do any GCSEs but have got IELTS Level 7.5 instead. My first choice is medicine and have already applied for that through UCAS, but for applications in Hong Kong, I am pretty sure I wont be able to get into MBBS in either HKU or CU with those grades. So I am thinking of an alternative "first choice" to put in my applications.

Here are the preferable alternative choices putting in order
1. Pharmacy
2. Architecture (but I didn't do arts nor DT)
3. Chinese Medicine
4. Science
5. Nursing

I have got plenty of medical-related work experiences, eg shadowing different surgeons for 5 weeks ish in total, volunteering at hospitals, in care homes and as first aider at St John Ambulance. In addition, I am also working as a healthcare assistant in a hospital and a care home. I do have 2-day work experience in a Chinese Medicine clinic, but then it's still very obvious that most of the experiences I had are to help me get into a med school, and so non of them are related to the above courses listed.

So what I am worrying about is that although I wish to apply for pharmacy most, firstly, I don't think my grades would be enough to aim at such a competitive course, secondly, my work experiences might not do me any favours at all. Even worse, since I am in a year out, I guess the universities would really expect me to do something related if I am as passionate and committed as I said in the personal statement.

Given the above information, my initial plan is to go for Science in HKU + Pharmacy in CU. Might apply to UST as well. Please give me some advice on my decision. Do you think I should go for pharmacy in both universities? Are my grades enough for me to risk that? Any other suggestions?

Any one who got into the above courses are very welcomed to share their own experiences and that will really help a lot! Thank you so much for taking time to read this
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (249)
38.97%
No - but I will (44)
6.89%
No - I don't want to (47)
7.36%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (299)
46.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed