Neuroscience at St Andrews? Or Psy + Bio? Watch

cora06140
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
In the process of finalising UCAS for neuroscience and really liked the look of St Andrews when we visited, the town but also of the new science buildings.

But would like to get insiders' views on the course, so if you are studying neuroscience there, could you share your insight? What there is to like and dislike, how you are finding teachers/tutors, etc.

Also finding confusing the similarities between neuroscience and the psychology with biology degree. Are the first two years really that similar in terms of options? Would chosing psy+bio give a wider choice for honours years?

Sorry about all the questions - thanks for anyone who has the time to answer!
theresheglows
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by cora06140)
In the process of finalising UCAS for neuroscience and really liked the look of St Andrews when we visited, the town but also of the new science buildings.

But would like to get insiders' views on the course, so if you are studying neuroscience there, could you share your insight? What there is to like and dislike, how you are finding teachers/tutors, etc.

Also finding confusing the similarities between neuroscience and the psychology with biology degree. Are the first two years really that similar in terms of options? Would chosing psy+bio give a wider choice for honours years?

Sorry about all the questions - thanks for anyone who has the time to answer!
The options in the first two years are identical for both of these, the only difference is that in 2nd year you have a neuroscience tutor instead of a psych and a bio tutor, the downside to this is that they sometimes can't guide you as well in bio. I think the main differences come in the honours years, I'm not exactly sure what is available at that stage, it is possible that there are some bio or psych options that are limited if you are doing neuroscience, but specific neuroscience topics would be available that might not be if you are doing psych & bio.
cora06140
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thank you
Neda1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I was wondering the same, ended up choosing neuroscience because it seems more specific. any offers?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (121)
39.54%
No - but I will (16)
5.23%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.54%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (149)
48.69%

Watched Threads